Double Major and Premed

<p>Hey all,</p>

<p>I have been admitted to Purdue's College of Engineering and I will be in the Engineering Honors Program. I was thinking about double majoring a field of engineering and computer science while also completing the pre-med program. Does anyone know if this is possible? Any recommendations on how to get it done?</p>

<p>Even with a reasonable amount of AP credits, this will probably take five years instead of four years. </p>

<p>Consider that:

1. You need to keep your GPA very high if you plan to apply to med school. The course load that you will be attempting might prevent that.
  2. That fifth year is costly. Your (I assume, since you’re in Honors) scholarship only covers four years. Since you plan on med school, you will want to keep your debt down. If you are from a wealthy family, this point does not apply.
  3. The course load that you are proposing will most likely prevent you from actively joining any clubs, pursuing other educational interests (research?) or having a social life. Remember that med school applicants need to show ECs, just like high school. You will be studying. A lot. Engineering and computer science homework, after your first year, can be very time consuming. </p>

<p>Many, many incoming freshman (who have been high-achieving in high school) think that double majors are easily accomplished. They CAN be accomplished, but not easily. Careful curriculum planning is crucial if you are to succeed with your plan.</p>