Double Major/Degree at Michigan State University?

Hello! I’m trying to understand how double majors work at Michigan State University. My son wants to double major in Computer Science and Game/Interactive Media at MSU. One of the majors results in a BS and one results in a BA. I’m trying to understand how that works. Can he have a primary major (Computer Science) and just plop the additional requirements for Games/Interactive Media on his schedule (with the normal 120 credits to graduate) or would he need to get a dual degree (requiring 150 credits to graduate)? He has a bunch of AP credits and I wonder how that could, if at all, help as well. Thank you!

Here’s the MSU AP equivalency by test score. And their policy on dual majors/degrees.

Third link is contact admissions. Pick your state at the bottom. It’s a parent link so it’s ok for you to call. You can ask your questions or asked to get an appointment with an advisor from CS. That would be your best bet …your student and perhaps yourself speaking with them. Or if you have a visit planned, then do so in person. Most schools have staff that would be glad to guide you.

https://admissions.msu.edu/contact-us

Thanks! I had read this before but I don’t understand how it applies to my son’s specific situation. Given what they are all likely dealing with at this time, we don’t want to bother them, and I’m hoping someone might be able to help here. :smiley: I want to make sure if he goes there he understands exactly how and if he can take his desired path.

It’s their job for you to bother them. That’s why they have a job in fact.

No one can likely answer your question to the exact specificity if you can’t find it on the website. - ultimately you’ll need to speak to an advisor int he department.

As for APs, sometimes you can get credit - but not credit for a specific major - hence another reason to speak with them.

1 Like