Double Major

<p>I’m an incoming freshman and I want to double major? Is this possible as a freshman in Honor’s College? If so, how do you inform the university?</p>

<p>My son is a freshman who is probably going to double major. He is undeclared at this point. Technically, you don’t have to declare a major as a freshman, or even as a sophomore. They will start you in the College of Arts ans Sciences if you are undeclared. </p>

<p>If you want to double major and finish in four years, you probably need to come in with a lot of AP credits. My son is technically a sophomore because of AP. Double majoring is probably going to be his way of stretching it out for four years.</p>

<p>One cannot declare a double major until they have started at UA. If both of your majors are outside of the College of Arts and Sciences or your “primary” major is outside of A&S, list that major so that you will be assigned to the correct college. If one of your majors is in the College of Engineering and you qualify for the engineering scholarship, list that major.</p>

<p>I agree with slippy about coming in with AP credits if you’re going to double major and graduate in four years without losing your mind and/or social life. My son is double majoring. He came into UA as a declared business major with 25 AP credits, then added a second major (telecommunication & film) during his first semester at 'Bama.</p>

<p>When you apply, you can only declare ONE major (so if one of your majors is engineering or comp sci, then name THAT one for scholarship purposes).</p>

<p>THEN…after you actually enroll in the univ (start classes), you can add your second major.</p>

<p>My daughter started with an Exercise Science major and added a Spanish major her freshman year. She did come in with a large number of AP credits though. She keeps talking about adding a minor in English which I’ve been trying to convince her is not in her best interest no matter how “doable” it looks in DegreeWorks.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>As long as she’s staying on track with her majors, there’s no harm in adding the minor. If at some point she sees that it’s not doable…no biggie…she’ll just have some extra English credits on her transcript.</p>