double majoring @ Miami

<p>I heard from a friend of mine who currently attends UM, that it is very difficult to pursue a double major; especially if it involves music and something outside of the department, since you have to enroll in the school of music and you must bind yourself to it. I find this a bit hard to believe since so many other universities are open to double majoring. Does anyone know more about this?</p>

<p>With University of Miami and majoring in music, if you want to double-major in music and something else, you must audition for a Bachelor of Arts in Music, and if accepted, you are REQUIRED to have a minor or another major in a different field as well. </p>

<p>It's different at other universities because not all colleges have Schools of Music, which are more in-depth and expansive than mere Music Departments.</p>

<p>I don't know specifically about Music, but from what we learned at the School of Business, many kids do pursue double majors or a major/minor. We even heard of someone doing a triple major. Our sense was that it would be possible for S to combine his interests in business, communications, history and economics and that many kids do pursue multiple interests. One of our tour guides told us she planned to study Communications and Spanish. We met another kid who combined a hard science and Jewish Studies. Just about everyone we met seemed to at least have a major and a minor. But we didn't meet any Music kids, except kids there to audition....</p>

<p>At other schools, a lot of times it's a double-degree since they're two seperate colleges, and not a lot of students choose to do such because music is so demanding</p>