Double majoring plus a minor

<p>Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to this site so pardon me if I'm in the wrong forum. </p>

<p>I'm planning on double majoring in Motion Pictures and Philosophy.</p>

<p>I have no clue how much work this is going to be; how many classes I'm going to take or whether or not it will take a lot of time, energy and effort.</p>

<p>I'm also thinking about doing a minor. Preferably in Judaic Studies but my other choices are Classics, or History.</p>

<p>Now my question to you guys: Do you think I will be overwhelmed by doing the double major plus a minor in any of these subjects? </p>

<p>Yes I know these are all completely different subjects and please don't tell me to go 'try it out' first and see if I enjoy it or not.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Edit: Also how overwhelming would a double major and a double minor be, assuming it is possible?</p>

<p>Son is double major plus a minor. Very doable as you take the classes you need, not electives to fill up the credits needed to graduate. Also taking some interesting classes in Judaic studies for fun/interest. (English and History majors with Philosophy minor.)</p>

<p>It can be done. (Think of all those who change majors and still graduate on time. AP credits help.)</p>

<p>I’m a double major with a minor in the Comm School, it’s very easy to do. You need a bunch of random electives in Arts and Sciences anyway for the Comm degree, so instead of taking random ones, you just take 5-6 to fulfill the minor. And every Comm major has to have a second major, so it’s built into the program.</p>

<p>The amount of work involved with double majoring greatly depends on the individual requirements of each major. In many cases some of the classes you will take for one major are applicable as electives for the other major, but there are limits. Certain majors, Engineering, Accounting, Architecture for example, can have very rigid course tracks in order to finish your degree in a reasonable amount of time. In those cases it can be much more difficult to get a second major from a field far removed from the original major.</p>

<p>Other majors can be quite easy to double; my son graduated from Miami with a double major in Marine Sciences and Biology plus a minor in Chemistry. The double major is required by Miami; due to the requirements of those majors, the Chemistry minor was automatic. </p>

<p>You need to sit down with the course catalog and an advisor to help you understand what classwork is required for each of the tracks you want. You may not be able to technically pull off a double major/double minor, but I’d be surprised if you couldn’t get close. Just understand you’ll probably be taking at least 5 classes a semester, (whereas most non-science students take only 4 with the occasional 5 class semester), and possibly need a class or two over the summer. Is it possible? Yes, though the scheduling can get tricky, (start planning early). Can it be a lot of work? Yes.</p>

<p>A lot of students double major, major and double minor, double major and double minor, etc at Miami. It is a school that it is not that difficult timing wise to double major and double minor because most majors are around 30 credits (about 10 classes) and most minors are 12-15 (4-5 classes). Most students take a 15 credit load or more so it is definitely doable.</p>

<p>Most non-science students take only 4 classes per semester? That’s a blatant lie. You need 120 credits to graduate, which equates to 15 credits per semester, or five classes per semester, for everybody. I’m not a science major and I’m taking 6 classes this semester.</p>

<p>The original poster stated he’s interested in majoring in motion pictures, which is in the Comm School, which requires every student to have a double major. You don’t need to plan early or take summer courses, the UM requirements allow for you to have multiple majors and minors without doing so. I kept my second major the entire time I was at UM, but switched my main major at the end of my sophomore year (albeit to something very similar) and didn’t pick up my minor til Junior year and I’m still graduating on time without ever having to take more than the normal 5 classes per semester.</p>

<p>OP, most everyone in the Comm School does two majors and a minor, you will have absolutely no trouble doing so.</p>

<p>It shouldn’t be that hard. I hear that the motion pictures major is one of the easier majors, and I know philosophy isn’t that hard (well, the only thing I really have to compare it to is Biology…)</p>

<p>Like has been already said: you’ll be taking the courses for those majors/minors instead of electives. It’s not a bad thing :slight_smile: Just be sure to keep in mind, though, that getting multiple majors isn’t really beneficial in the long run. If you’re interested in all those areas, great - but, with rare exception, that’s the only real reason to do it.</p>

<p>Also, I agree, most students do take five classes per semester, unless they’re taking all 4+ credit classes (of which I only know two…). I also also say, though, that most people don’t take more than this amount on a regularly basis.</p>

<p>I was making my course plan over the next few years, and I can graduate on time with a double major in Philosophy and Biology and a minor in Chemistry, with honors in Biology, while only taking one extra class per semester. This is because the honors classes count towards the biology major, and the biology major gives me an automatic chemistry minor.</p>

<p>So, it’s certainly doable.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh please. As a “Comm” major I hope you realize that overblown rhetoric rarely results in the useful transfer of information. While I may have understated the number of classes a “typical” Cane takes per semester I stand by my points: Some double majors are harder to achieve than others and many double majors require more work than a single major. How is that possibly a “blatant” lie?</p>

<p>I don’t know what philosophy is like at Miami,but it is a hard major. It requires a lot of reading and writing on very dense material. Personally, I think that philosophy is the most intellectually demanding major around,which is why philosophy majors,as a group, do the best on standardized tests such as LSATs. Be aware of what you are getting into.</p>

<p>Majoring in philosophy and minoring in classics is doable because they are “connected” and related majors.</p>

<p>Oh, I definitely agree - there’s a lot to cover. I just think it’s less intensive in that there’s not a lot of memorization. But, definitely, it’s not easy. I guess it’s just preference. I hate memorizing stuff, so I don’t find the philosophy classes as difficult as the biology classes. And the major definitely does prepare you for those kind of tests because of their focus on reasoning.</p>

<p>I suppose it’s all preference, then. For me, reading a lot isn’t hard - memorizing a lot is :slight_smile: But, I certainly agree, philosophy and the classics will overlap in the material covered. Unfortunately, though, I don’t think they have any actual overlapping classes. Worse case scenario you can drop your philosophy or motion pictures major to a minor. Even though you said not to say it… I do think you should feel it out as you go :P</p>

<p>BTW, you might be interested in the philosophy of film class. There’s one during the summer intersession that I was considering taking… but have decided against because it really does interest me.</p>

<p>Well, you have to double major in you’re in the School of Communications. I was planning on doing a major in Journalism and American Studies and then maybe minoring in Motion Pictures if they let me.</p>