Driving from the North East

<p>Good to know about the amtrak option if you have the time. Maybe after winter break. Sounds like it might save some $$.</p>

<p>Hey guys we made the trip 4 times last year and we can normally do it in 16 hrs from Central NJ straight through. Two stops for meals and 3-4 stops for gas / bathroom… From up north CT/MA the best thing it to get to RT 78 in NJ probably in Newark exit 14 on the Turnpikke. it is basically 4 or 5 roads from there (Long ones) Rt 78 west for abt 135-40 miles to rt 81 south (Now the long haul) Rt 81 south for about 525-530 miles( we gas up right into VA) you will merge then(No big turns the entire way hardly , all merges) onto 40W for 35 miles and then merge 75S for 100Mile , there is a slight right onto 24 west towards Chattanoog/Birmingham for 17 miles Birmingham is the key at exit 167 merge on 59S toward birmingham , now its 124 miles get to exit 137 and merge onto459S towards Tuscaloosa/Montgomery for 33 miles at the fork for I20W /I-59South stay left towards Tuscaloosa , continue down to exit 71B-exit 69 they are the closest to the campus. I found this very easy with no crazy turns(Save for once coming home but thats another story) Please let me know if this helps. We drive at night usually. I drive eveybody sleeps and all is well. Hope you have a great trip. I cant wait to go again in May.</p>