Driving

<p>I'm not sure if this is a good question to put on here, but i havn't got my Drivers License yet and I'm going to be attending Texas A&M. I was wondering if college station was a good place to take it? Does anyone know the route they take you on? are they strict? Is it worth even having a car here?</p>

<p>If you can afford a car, it definitely makes your life easier. College station isn’t a big city like New York where its really easy to walk or take public transit.</p>

<p>It depends. If you are living on campus, you really don’t need it. I left my truck back home because of liability issues. I don’t want to deal with a headache of an idiot breaking into my car or getting into a car accident while I am dealing with my classes. College Station is not at all friendly in driving. In my opinion, I find Houston easier to drive than CS. That is me, but it depends on what you like. Even if you live off campus, there are many bus routes that run to midnight. There is also a Hertz on Demand membership for A&M students. You can join for free, rent a car from on campus (good cars too. You can rent a toyota rav4, nissan titan, or chevy malibu), and pay only the hourly rental rate ($11 per hour). Also, it depends on how often you want to drive back to your hometown and how far it is. Altogether, you can survive without a car.</p>

<p>You can survive, but be realistic about your limitations. To get to the grocery store you’ll have to bum a ride from a friend/roommate. You can take the bus, but you wont be able to carry very many grocery bags that way. It would probably also be wise to fill all your prescriptions at the HEB pharmacy, because all the other pharmacies have buses running by them only sporadically. Your mileage will vary based on how outgoing you are/how many friends you have. There’s also a convenience store on campus, but the prices for all their groceries are double because you’re their captive audience. I walked alone a few times to off campus parties and off campus tutoring on the weekend when the buses weren’t running. And a couple miles home to my off campus apartment a couple times when my car broke down. I’d only recommend walking alone if you’re a guy, probably not safe for women. Its doable, but if you’re fortunate enough to own a car already, I’d say take it.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>What do you mean liability issues? You aren’t liable to anyone who gets injured if someone steals your car and wrecks it. You will have to repair your car if the criminal isnt insured, but that’s anywhere, and I don’t consider CS less safe than Dallas or Houston.</p>

<p>Thanks for the detailed info about car issues!</p>

<p>I got my license the summer before I came to CS and I’m driving just fine…</p>