Drop/Add ?

<p>Can someone explain the drop/add process at Alabama-</p>

<p>What do you need help with? Are you asking about after classes officially begin, or adding/dropping right now?</p>

<p>after classes begin- sorry</p>

<p>Students simply go onto mybama, Student tab, Student Services section (usually in top middle of page), and select Add/Drop button (should be 1st row option).
There are deadlines to be aware of, tho: [Fall</a> 2013 Academic Calendar | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/fall-2013-academic-calendar/#tab=tab-1]Fall”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/fall-2013-academic-calendar/#tab=tab-1)
E.g., the last day to add a class for Fall 2013 is Aug 28. The last day to drop a class is also Aug 28 if you do not want a W (stands for withdrawn) on transcript. After that date, and until Oct 30, dropping a class will result in a W showing on the student’s transcript. After Oct 30, you will require special permission/processing through the student’s college.</p>

<p>thanks- what does a W on transcript do to GPA?</p>

<p>A ‘W’ merely signifies that student withdrew from the class. Since there is no class credit given, it has no affect on the GPA. If you w/draw after the official deadline, however, I do not know what that does, if anything. You may be faced with the decision on UA’s part of <em>not</em> allowing you to withdraw, and having to accept whatever grade you would currently have at that point. Students are sent a reminder email about this important deadline throughout each semester.</p>

<p>Thanks alot</p>

<p>If it will reassure you…my S just confirmed for me that any student will be able to tell within 1 week of a class if the work/material will be too much to handle comfortably. This is because you will get the syllabus, the lab/recitation schedule (if applicable), the expectations, etc from the prof/instructor, all within that first week of classes. Also, a student will know how they are doing in the class well before the mid-term/drop deadline, and can make their decisions accordingly. There should be no ‘good’ reason that students miss that W deadline. As a parent, I believe students should challenge themselves with courses and withdraw if necessary, rather than aim too low and regret not taking on more.</p>