Drop Off Day

Can someone tell me what to expect for new student drop off? We don’t live close at all, so I’d like to understand whether it’s like college drop off, a rolling wave as he jumps out of the car, or are there parent programs and whatnot to attend. Will be driving, either from airport or the entire way, If he wants to take his bike with him. Would love to have some intel. DS is headed to NMH, but am interested in any. Thanks.

Take the bike.

There are usually parent programs. I would also plan to leave time for a parent to make a run to a local store or stores to buy a lot of last minute things for the dorm. Leave the kid by himself in the dorm to settle in while you go an do some shopping for him or get oriented.

Student perspective. I disagree, especially if you are flying. I’d suggest have him go through Fall without a bike, and if he then decides he “needs” one, deals on used bikes can be found readily.

This is from last year but this year is similar.
http://www.nmhschool.org/news/welcome-to-campus

If you go to the NMH portal (where they asked to fill in gazillion forms,) on the left panel at the bottom is the “Registration Day Info.”
We plan to arrive at 8:30 (flying in the day before) and I will stick around till 3 PM when we are supposed to say goodbyes. I’m sure staying that long is optional. There will be welcome meeting, welcome tables (laundry, health services, activities, etc), lunch and family meetings with advisors. A bit like revisit day, I imagine. After 3pm there is optional orientation and reception.

What grade is your child? Mine will be 9th.

Love NMH. My son is at Loomis and loves having his bike. NMH is a bit different because it is more rural.

For our drop off, we had to fill out a bunch of forms, took our son to his room, helped him get set up (move the bed, put clothes away, etc.). They have a set time by which parents should leave, probably after lunch.

NMH is on a hill! Riding down must be fun. Riding up, on the other hand…

@ psparent. My DD is starting Loomis this fall as a 10th grader. Do you know anything about arriving early for fall sports?

Shove the kid out of the car and burn rubber getting out of there. You can leave him the bike so he can use it to get home.

I posted on the Choate thread what drop-off day is like at Choate:

+1 to the comment about making runs to the local stores to pick up forgotten stuff, things not worth shipping, things that hit you as soon as you see the dorm room, and that all-important room fan.

I recommend you make sure to say your goodbyes early. Last fall I was setting up my son’s room and came out to find that he had left with his new classmates to start his orientation. He never said goodbye, just left. I was devastated, particularly as we didn’t hear anything from him for days. We discovered that he wasn’t getting good cell service. That was a hard couple of weeks. The time when it really hit me was when I went to the grocery store for the first time after drop off. I kept on reaching for things that I usually get for him, and was reminded that he was gone. Fortunately, we have fallen into a comfortable routine. It also doesn’t hurt that we are reasonably close by and can drive up to take him out for lunch on the weekends.

As far as individual schools go, you will get information on next year over the summer. I can remember being so anxious for any type of communication. Right now everyone at the schools are putting the last push in to finish off the year. After prize day is over then they will get focused on preparing for next year. It’s a crazy ride, but definitely the right place for our son.

Do most schools have booths out on drop off day advertising clubs to join?

@prepster1234- Some schools do and some don’t ( for orientation/ drop off ) but Club Presidents ( and members ) are usually out in force during the first week.

I remember my son walking in to register and when we turned around he was being carried off by the Water Polo team who were on campus for pre-season and looking for new players. It was pretty funny. Bye?

I like how @twinsmama thinks. Don’t linger, parents. Get the job done and go. Your kid will thank you later. :slight_smile:

Find the nearest pub and toast your child’s success ( or impending doom- depending on how you look at it ) It helps…

Remember, the reason you’re even dropping your kid off at BS in the first place is to enjoy G&T’s and a kid-free life. The sooner you leave your kid on campus, the sooner you can get started. :wink:

Really, the whole problem with this boarding school thing is that it turns out that they still expect you to take the kid back for the summer. I mean, hello? Are they serious? Why did we send him away in the first place if we were just going to get him back? Anyway, mine does have his bike, so at least I won’t have to pick him up.

Like when we dropped off ( I prefer shipped off ) K2 in 7th grade…

Me: Why do you keep looking in the rearview mirror?

My husband: I just want to make sure K2 isn’t chasing the car.

( K2 had major puppy face when we left. Like- What kind of parents are you? Best advice: Leave campus before your child changes their mind and then head for the nearest pub ).

People new to the forum may get the idea that we’re a bunch of drunk narcissists.

(Thurston, can you turn my martini glass just a smidge so I can see my reflection better? Thank you, darling.)

I think we should all hoist a glass to JustOneDad who helped us understand just why we shipped our kids off to BS.

That’s what expensive summer programs are for @twinsmama. (That’s OK, we know you’re new.)

You never disappoint me, CM :slight_smile:
Such a treasure trove of wisdom!

Can I find a cheap summer program somewhere? After paying for school, we’ll be reduced to Ramen Noodles three times a day, and no money for expensive summer programs. I’d hate to have to sell a Polo pony.

All this talk of libations has me counting down the days when I’m home and can legally hoist a few.