Drop out rate?

<p>Purdue Engineering is known for weed-out classes students take during their freshman year. Is drop out rate known and is it published anywhere? We would like compare schools on this criteria, among others, in our decision process.</p>

<p>A little bit of dated information in this thread. If you call or e-mail I think yje Purdue engineering department will give you the current data. They seem to be pretty helpful.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/929682-freshman-engineering-retention-rate-p1.html”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/929682-freshman-engineering-retention-rate-p1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I wouldn’t really call them weed out courses specific to Purdue (I’m thinking of Chemistry, Physics, and math courses). I think the curriculum is pretty standard with other ABET accredited schools… </p>

<p>^ Yes, those courses are common for all engineering programs and I think they are refered to as weed out courses everywhere. Thirty years ago, I remember worying that I was going to get weeded out in a couple of those classes. Day 1 of chemistry, “look to your right, look to your left, at the end of the semester one of you three will no longer be in the college of engineering”, that was probably a bit to scare us but it wasn’t too far off.</p>

<p>I was looking at the test out tests for Chemistry, and if you took AP Chem, CHM 115/116 is a joke. Of course, basing this off the test out tests only.
<a href=“http://www.chem.purdue.edu/academic_programs/testout.asp”>http://www.chem.purdue.edu/academic_programs/testout.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’m not sure I like that whole weed out mentality. In fact, I don’t like the math department’s policy of not giving As to kids who earn it, so to limit the number of As given as an anti grade inflation measure. I think if the kid earns an A, he should get it rather than someone deciding that only 2 kids get an A, or some such policy. The weed out mentality. Not cool. Other schools don’t behave that way toward their students. Although Purdue seems like a great school otherwise, I’d rather pay more for another school that does not threaten like this. My son got into a top ten ranked school so this might not even be an issue, but still, I’d rather have him closer to home (like Purdue), than far away. This whole mentality prevents that. Heck, I’m even considering nearby Rose-Hulman over a distant Ivy. They don’t treat the kids like dirt to be weeded out. </p>

<p>It’s not a weed out mentality. Not getting an A is not equivalent to getting weeded out. Most people don’t “earn” an A. Percentage wise, the top score in a class might be a B, if you’re lucky. It’s a methodology of fairly curving a class without risking grade inflation. If you earn the grade (aka, consistently the top of the class), you get the A. </p>

<p>There is no weed out mentality. A lot of people need to learn that not earning A’s, especially in engineering, and especially at Purdue, is not equivalent to failure. </p>

<p>The math department does not artificially limit the amount of A’s. It’s based on the number of students who can ace the final. If you can’t ace the final, then you probably shouldn’t “earn” an A. It’s a smart, albeit harsh measure, especially for those relying on curves and percentage marks to earn A’s. </p>

<p>You or your child are being treated as adults. It’s what college is supposed to do. Be responsible for your own performance, and the results they give you. A is for fantastic work, B is for above average, C is average, etc. It’s not peewee high school anymore. </p>

<p>Thank you Seirsly, We realize it is not peewee high school. My son has taken several math classes at the local university (which ranks about the same as Purdue) and has had no problems earning As. For us, as an immigrant family, NOT earning an A is equivalent to failure. It is enough to keep you out of medical school or graduate school, especially when all other applicants have all As. We have no problem being treated as adults, as immigrants we have to work twice as hard in this country and have to be twice as careful. That is my concern. Many people tell stories that indicate a weed out mentality. That is my concern.</p>

<p>My parents immigrated here too. I’m a first generation “Asian-American.” My family consists of teachers and chemists. I’m a civil engineering student, first in my family.</p>

<p>If your child goes into engineering at any school, he will need to learn how to cope with getting 30%'s-70%'s on assignments. Or getting a B in a class. Or C’s. I’m sure he’s a very bright kid, but engineering is a hard discipline. College is hard, and it’s a difficult transition between teen to “adult” or young adult. If your son is going into engineering or any other challenging discipline (I would argue every major is difficult), he cannot see not earning an A as immediate failure. Too many kids in my classes have the same mentality, and they get depressed, give up, or are entirely miserable. Some can commit great harm when pushed into such a corner.</p>

<p>For your son’s mental health and well being, I would consider you edit that mindset. Not having a 4.0 will not keep you out of med school or grad school. In my discipline, a GPA over 3.7 will get you recruited by grad schools. Please talk to a college advisor and set realistic goals. A 4.0 is attainable, but not worth causing 4+ years of misery. </p>

<p>Again, I’m sure your son will succeed in whatever he chooses to do, but not getting an A is not the end of the world. And this is coming from an Asian. </p>

<p>“Weed out” classes don’t exist for the sake of weeding out say 20% of the class. They weed out 20% of the class because they are hard and that 20% either can’t get it or decide it is not worth it.</p>

<p>We toured Purdue in October with my son and attended an information presentation concerning Purdue Engineering by David Bowker, Director of Purdue’s Office of Future Engineering. We were very impressed.</p>

<p>Purdue is acutely aware of the attrition rate for Engineering Majors and has completely redesigned its Freshman Engineering program for all students. One of the innovations is “Flip Classes,” Much of the instruction is provided on-line, which allows more class time for more personal instruction. <a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/Newsletters/ENEws/Spring%202013/firstyear-engineering-flipping-the-lecture”>https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/Newsletters/ENEws/Spring%202013/firstyear-engineering-flipping-the-lecture&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Purdue claims an 88% freshman retention rate for freshman engineering students, which is outstanding. The goal is to move past 90%. Students do not select an engineering major until after the first year. A 3.2 GPA in required courses is required. 91% of students get their first choice major. It’s not in my notes, but I believe that Biomedical Engineering was the most selective.</p>

<p>There is much else to like with Purdue Engineering. They are as good as any school in the Country for internship and co-op opportunities. Even freshman applicants (around 1/3) are getting summer internships, and virtually all juniors and seniors land summer jobs. Purdue’s job fair is one of the largest, if not the largest, in the US.</p>

<p>International study is also strongly encouraged (which was huge for my son). All engineering students get $3000 toward a semester abroad. (Tuition and room and board are usually comparable to Purdue fees.)</p>

<p>Purdue is No. 2 with Company recruiters (per Wall Street Journal). 1 in 50 US engineers is a Purdue graduate and there are 80,000 living Purdue engineering alumni worldwide.</p>

<p>It seems on average about 30 percent of freshmen engineers change majors for many reasons, too difficult, not what they thought engineering was, not interested in engineering, enrolled because mom or dad said they must…</p>

<p>My son is at Purdue and while he does not know the numbers, his roommate a Presidential Scholar dropped out of Engineering as it is tough. Purdue Dean of Engineering told the Math Prof to lower the Algebra I test scores and wow a the tests became tougher and tougher. </p>

<p>Not necessarily weed out classes due to IQ, many kids just do not know what an engineer does until they get into the curriculum of any engineering school. Purdue’s first year engineering course puts kids in teams of 4 where they work on broad very intense engineering projects encompassing design, mechanics, programming, and all types of engineering wrapped into each project. It is a lot of work, and this lets the kid know just what they are in for (what engineering is), what type of work they will be doing, and just how much work it is to engineer a project from start to finish.</p>

<p>The courses are tough. Most kids can pass if they try hard; for some it will just not be a good fit.</p>

<p>MIT claims that they have nearly a 99 percent matriculation rate in their engineering school. What they quietly tell you is that the kids who find engineering not for them, and prefer to major in English, or any other Major, are allowed to do so and are included in MIT’s “matriculation rate datas” whereas Purdue COE would call an engineering student that changes majors an “engineering drop out” thus lowers the numbers.</p>

<p>It is all in how you work the numbers, but in general the world has not changed and I do believe that statistically the datas are consistent from school to school, roughly 30 percent will change majors for some reason or another and of those that get a degree, roughly 50 percent will move into some engineering related – not specific engineering - field such as sales, purchasing, quality control, etc.</p>

The issue is not necessarily the toughness of the program but many males are not prepared for engineering at 18 years old. I am a perfect example. I was an engineer in the 80’s graduating in high school in the top 10 percent of my class. I struggled for about three years since I did not know how to study. Went for my electrical engineering masters in my late 30’s and I kicked ass since I was mature. Many kids just don’t know how to study and are not ready for college.

Getting something beside an A is not a failure. You guys need to get a clue.