Drop the IB Program?

<p>Hello my name is Ethan Zolotor and I am a Junior. I am looking to major in engineering, most likely chemical. I have a somewhat unique situation in regards to I.B. Diploma.</p>

<p>My Current Classes:
IB English HL
IB Math SL
IB Art HL
IB History of Americas HL
IB Chemistry SL
IB Spanish 4 SL
Entrepreneurship Elective</p>

<p>I.B. offered no flexibility because it is fairly new at our school and very few do it. It is pretty easy for me: a little stress, have almost all of my CAS hours. Because of this lack of flexibility i am in HL art history and english...not very useful for where I want to go in the future so I propose a more flexible and applicable schedule next year:</p>

<p>AP Calc BC (Much more impressive than SL Math)
AP Physics
AP Chemistry
AP Spanish 5
IB English
And 2 whole elective slots (It seems insane to have this much flexibility but i will probably take more entrepreneur geared classes)</p>

<p>I am doing the 6 week summer program @ MIT (MITES) so this should allow me to make the jump in math and ill get 2 sciences and 2 electives + My art teacher for some reason does not know anything about art and has taught me literally 0 this year. I also have an incompetent chemistry teacher so I am forced to teach myself via Youtube.</p>

<p>That sums it up, Thanks for the help. I am just worried about colleges seeing i switched out of the IB Diploma Program.</p>

<p>I also forgot to mention that there will only be 2-3 ppl left in my SL chem class because of the teacher and no one knows what is going to happen to it. It is almost definitely going to be cut due to budget issues.</p>

<p>IMO I love the IB, and my school is small and new. I think a lot of it has to do with the administration and teachers, though. If you are going to drop IB, don’t even take a single IB class- colleges don’t really do much as far as credit goes/aren’t very impressed unless you have the full diploma. Also, AP English is a breeze- the test at least- so it would be preferable for you as far as time management goes, for you can really focus on the sciences and maths.</p>

<p>If there is a way you can switch to IB HL Math it might be worth sticking around. People debate if it it easier/harder than AP Calc, but after comparing the requirements and practice test, I got a 5 on AP Calc BC with minimal studying. My HL math homework is harder than pretty much anything I did on that exam. (This is an opinion, so take it with a grain of salt!)</p>

<p>Keep in mind that you can take self study AP exams in may and IB tests to get maximum credit. When you visit colleges, let them know you are interested in math and sciences and that your AP Tests will reflect that.</p>

<p>All that being said, the one thing I hate about IB is the lack of flexibility, as you mentioned above. It really peeves me. If you do decide to switch out of IB, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You have legitimate reason to support your decision. On the bright side, many of the activities you count for CAS will buff up your resume as far as ECs and Community Service. That will give you a nice edge.</p>

<p>Good luck with your decision, and happy Summer!</p>

<p>I was so close to dropping the diploma program between junior and senior year, but I’m glad I didn’t. Yes, I hated the lack of flexibility, and I had to sacrifice a lot, but sticking it through the entire program gives you skills that a mix of IB/AP/electives just doesn’t. Of course, everyone’s situation is different, but completing the program is probably the most admirable thing I’ve ever done in my life. Yes, the program has flaws, but in the end, sucking it up and earning the diploma prepared me for college more than anything else could.</p>