Dropping an AP class...

<p>I was wondering how likely it is that my admission would be rescinded after changing my 2nd semester AP Lit class for Creative Writing (not weighted). I called UW and they couldn't give me an answer beyond what they say on the website (that a course change may jeopardize an offer of admissions-basically do it at your own risk). I was accepted back in November and I am still taking 4 weighted classes this semester. I might be making something out of nothing, but I just thought I'd ask.</p>

<p>Why the hell would you do that?</p>

<p>Not worth the risk of losing your spot at UW. Suck it up, stick it out, go the distance-the end is in sight.</p>

<p>My son (a current UW-Madison freshman) changed his 2nd semester high school English class from a Lit class to a Creative Writing class. He emailed UW-Madison admissions in May and provided a reason why he changed his course. Here’s part of his email:</p>

<p>"I substituted a class with more emphasis on writing skills, in order to become even better prepared for college. The class is called “Advanced and Creative Writing”.</p>

<p>This is the response:</p>

<p>Thank you for contacting the Office of Admissions at the University of </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I think it is okay to change your class as long as you provide a logical reason, and as you stated, you still have 4 other weighted (AP or Honors) classes.</p>

<p>A change that maximizes your education sounds better than sticking with a class. You will still have the same number of academic credits, ie you are not dropping and taking a study hall. If the reason to switch is that you are not doing well in the AP class it is better that you substitute a course you will learn more in. It is not about the transcript but about you learning and enjoying your final HS semester.</p>

<p>[News:</a> Senior Change Policy - Office of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison](<a href=“http://admissions.wisc.edu/news/seniorChangePolicy.php]News:”>http://admissions.wisc.edu/news/seniorChangePolicy.php)</p>

<p>Information from the admissions website on notification regarding a course change.</p>