Dual/Concurrent Enrollment grades in GPA calculation

Hello,

I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but can’t find anything to confirm. Basically S24 took CC classes starting 8th grade Summer. Out of 14 classes he completed so far, 6 of them were before 9th grade ended. I know UC Capped GPA calculates using only AP/H classes taken between 10-11 grade, but it doesn’t specifically say how and when CC classes were taken. None of the 14 classes show up in his HS transcript, so he essentially took all of his usual HS classes plus 2-3 additional CC classes each semester on top.

I think for fully weighted UC GPA, they will just add up every one of his CC transferable grades irrespective of if they were taken in the 8-9th grade. However, if they ignore the CC grades earned prior to 10th grade, then he basically forfeits 6 of those bonus points, which I don’t think will be the case.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

@Gumbymom is the definite source on UC questions and I defer to her.

My understanding from asking this a previous year is that like with AP/IB (or honors if you are are in-state) they will only count DE classes from start of Sophomore year in any of the three GPA’s. You can still report all those DE courses taken sooner and they can be evaluated by admissions, they just won’t be part of the GPA.

If you haven’t already, you should use this site which helps summarize the rules and calculates UC GPAs.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

This was somehwat discussed last year here:

In post #6, she says:

DE courses that are UC transferable get 1 extra honors point in the GPA calculation if taken the summer after 9th through the summer prior to 12th.

Thank you for the reply. I did read that post from Gumbymom about DE classes after 9th grade. I suspect a lot of that has to do with almost no college in Cali accepts students from HS before the 10th grade. Then again, may be no CC accepts students because they know how UC/CSU calculate the GPA. ?Chicken and the egg question. We got in the door because I suspect someone working from home during covid misread S24’s application and didn’t realize he was an 8th grader. I have not come across other people here posting about their middle school kid having DE credits.

Therefore S24 is in a relatively unique situation for having done so many classes because he had a 1 1/2 year head start over everyone else in that school. In fact the GC told him he currently has the record for most classes taken in that school’s history, but a record that’s likely to be beat in 3 years by his sister and her school friend who are taking classes at a faster pace.

My D took a CC class in 7th grade - her middle school arranged it for her, so it happens, although probably not super common.

CCs will accept basically anyone if they get permission from their school counselor and submit the proper signatures. Sometimes the high school might restrict what and when you can take DE courses, but that will vary. The CCs are usually OK with it as long as the school approves and any prereqs are met.

But I do believe @Gumbymom is correct that they will only get counted toward your UC GPA if taken the summer before 10th grade through the summer before 12th grade.

Plenty of students in CA and OOS have college credit before 10th grade.

1 Like

I realized that. But I wanted to know from their experience how that grades got computed. Based on what Gumbymom posted, they don’t get the bonus point, but I’m not sure if that is true.

Likely true as UCs only use grades from 10th and 11th grade when calculating the UC GPA, so it would make sense that DE grades would also be limited to that time period.

to worriedmomucb,

So did your daughter’s grades not get added?

If the college courses are UC transferable, he will get credit from the UC’s but if the courses were taken prior to 9th grade or during 9th grade, then they will not be included in the UC GPA calculation nor get any Honors point weighting.

1 Like

Thank you. I guess if that is the case, then his overall uncapped GPA will be a tad lower.

I do not believe anything taken prior to the summer before 10th grade was used in her GPA calculation. All courses and grades can be mentioned and eventually you should receive transfer credit for everything, but I don’t think it’s part of the UC GPA. At least that is my understanding, although I am not an AO.

1 Like

Honestly, once you reach a certain threshold, a few tenths of a point won’t make any difference at all. (And the same situation would apply to students who took AP and/or honors classes in 9th grade.)

Agree. It’s really about the learning and not be bored. If we wanted to game the system, we’d did this wrong.

1 Like

They will see rigor, they will see intellectual curiosity, they will see a willingness to challenge himself…This is all viewed favorably as well, even if you don’t get the GPA “credit” for the courses.

1 Like

I didn’t realize DE classes qualify for bonus points. D24 completed 14 credit hours prior to 10th grade, and will have an additional 41 credits completed by this spring. I have no idea how they will “count”, if they all will or won’t transfer. She did concurrent enrollment, so they dont count towards her high school transcript at all. I do know she will know how to manage college level classes, so I hope she will feel confident and do well. Good luck to you!

1 Like

If these classes were taken at a California community college, you can check how they will transfer through this website:

www.assist.org

For the purposes of the UC application, each DE class taken between 10th and 12th grade will receive +1 point in the GPA calculation (so they are weighted the same as AP classes).

2 Likes