Dual/Double Majors and Minors

<p>*I need to research this, but when I was in school, you had to take your last 30 credits at your home university. *</p>

<p>Let us know, but I don’t think Bama has that rule. I think Bama just requires that you take XX number of credits at Bama.</p>

<p>FWIW, my son is double majoring (Business + Telecommunication & Film). We laid out a tentative path in a MS Word table prior to his freshman year. Every semester he meets with an advisor in each of his majors prior to registering for the next semester’s classes and reports that the advisors have been very understanding and helpful in coordinating his juggling act. As a result, he’s right on schedule to fulfill all his requirements, including those for the Honors College.</p>

<p>BTW, all you prospective students, never underestimate the value of the early registration perk that HC students get. It’s been a huge benefit for my son.</p>

<p>^^^^^ HUUUUUUGE perk. There isn’t much priority (other than some early honors BB sessions) for fall semester freshman year, but the tremendous benefit priority registration provides was very evident when D registered yesterday morning for spring classes.</p>

<p>This is from the registrar’s web page</p>

<p>Graduation requirements. To be eligible for a baccalaureate degree in any SCHOOL / COLLEGE of The University of Alabama, a student must earn in residence in that SCHOOL / COLLEGE at least one-fourth of the semester hours required for the degree, including 9 of the last 18 hours. The schools and colleges may specify that advanced work in the major and minor fields be taken in residence. A student who meets the residency requirement and at the end of a semester is within 9 semester hours of completing the work required for graduation may, with the prior approval of the SCHOOL / COLLEGE of enrollment, complete those 9 hours at any institution (provided that the student is eligible to undertake such work).</p>

<p>Montegut- I wanted to clarify something you said earlier. If a student takes an honors humanity class, it does not count as honors AND humanities? Only one or the other? That does not seem right!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>An honors humanities course will count as a departmental honors course but not as a UH seminar course (of which 6 CR are required - non-departmental.)</p>

<p>RTRMom2: Since we reside in Virginia, my son took his classes from Northern Virginia Community College. The school has an extensive online program.</p>

<p>Montegut: As much as my son enjoys meeting new people, there is something to be said for doing your course work sitting in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in your hand. He is taking two online classes the fall at UA and plans two more for the spring. The material is interesting, too.</p>

<p>Yes, some classes are able to fulfill honors and humanities. However, you do need six credits of the seminar type courses, too. Son has taken one humanities that he was interested in, but it was not an honors course. Therefore, he got three humanities credit, but no honors credit. This semester, he’s taking an honors course that is honors and writing, so he’s only getting honors credit, but it is fulfilling three of the six required seminar credits. He also took Alabama Action, which fulfilled one of those six credits. So, he’s got two seminar honors credits to go, and three humanities to go. I’d love for him to take one of those UH classes that counts as a seminar, humanities, and honors, but as y’all are finding out, even at a high up level, those are hard to get, much less fit in an engineering and CBH class schedule. And son is also picky about taking a class he’s interested in, not just one to fulfill a requirement. He values his time more than that. But, he’s taken a full load every semester, and even attended summer school after freshman year to get some engineering prereqs in, (chemistry). As it is, son is taking 19 hours this semester to at least try to get some honors in. Also, as an engineering major, he’s got to start getting his electives in, and when a course comes along he’s interested in, like the one this spring, he’s jumping on it. Some courses are only offered every other year, so if you have an interest in one, it’s best to grab it. Looking at the engineering flowchart for his major, mechanical, they do have the students playing a lot of catchup on those gen ed courses in their final year, but again, you’ve got to get those engineering requirements, too. We’re blessed that he did come in with some AP. Otherwise, a fifth year would be a given. Thankfully, the engineering dept does give the kids an extra 2500 a year to help pay for those sometimes necessary summer courses.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info on the outside course options. We’ll look into that for the summer and get clarification from both the honors and engineering department before shelling out any money and making plans. Hopefully, when son registers for classes his final year, things will fall into place and everything will work out. </p>

<p>I’m contributing to this thread for the sole purpose of alerting those of you in the early years to try to get those honors seminars in if ever possible. </p>

<p>As for spots opening up, the honors seminar son is in now was full all summer, but right before classes started, a spot opened up and he was able to place himself in. He had put himself in a class that would have fulfilled both honors and humanities, but he wasn’t as interested in that class as he is this one, so he’s happy with what he’s got. He loves his honors class. It is a lot of work, but he is reading some books he’s always wanted to read, has an awesome professor, and is earning college credit at the same time!</p>

<p>OK, DS is taking the Southern Values course, which is Humanities and Honors. Are you telling me he can only get credit for the course as EITHER humanities OR honors?? But not both?</p>

<p>Southern Values should count as both Humanities and Honors (seminar). The way you can tell (I think) is that it is a UH-designated (UH101) course as opposed to a departmental designation, such as MTH 145 - honors calc.</p>

<p>agreed - get honors hours early. if you come in with a good bit of AP/dual credit it is a little hard to get honors hours since you won’t be taking things like english and history which would be prime candidates to take as honors classes.</p>

<p>That is the issue DS has, he is trying to make sure to choose the courses where he can get both honors and meet the few remaining core requirements too. It is not easy.</p>

<p>^^^I believe he will get honors and humanities for that course. When you look up classes, it will say on the far right what the designation is. </p>

<p>If a class says honors and writing, like the honors course son is taking right now, it will only fulfill honors and the writing requirement. Although it is a literature type course, it does NOT fulfill a humanities credit. But it does fulfill the honors seminar credit.</p>

<p>When you plug in the courses in Degree Works, it will tell you what it does fulfill and what you still have remaining.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>That is way too confusing!!! I know that my son’s W courses are covered in his required major classes.</p>

<p>I will add to what others have said. Generous AP credit from Bama has allowed my DS to double major in Finance and Political Science as well as minor in History and will get his master’s in Finance thru the University Scholars program all in 4 years. He has had to take 1 course in each of his 3 summers in order to get everything covered in 4 years. Now that we see the “plan” coming to an end, he has informed me that he MIGHT spread out the master’s in 1 more semester!! Why not, right!!! I guess I’m ok with it…We now have a house in Tuscaloosa and he has in-state status. Still wondering why we went to so much trouble to plan everything in 4 years??? I think he just wants another football season! ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>So, what about doing a semester abroad? How many credit do you usually earn and can you do it and still graduate in four years???</p>

<p>My son did his study abroad during the summer between his sophomore and junior years. Got six credits and had a blast in Belgium. He has been all over the world while a student at UA. Did Alabama Action Abroad twice and went to Costa Rica. Went to Greece for 10 days, thanks to his national fraternity’s office. His internship with NOAA sent him to American Samoa, and from there, he also visited New Zealand. All of that, and yes, he will graduate on time. In fact, he will be done with his majors after this fall semester.</p>

<p>^^^Just to get an FYI for others, did those Alabama Action Abroad courses count toward his honors seminars credit? I know son did Alabama Action right before Freshman Fall and that counted toward his seminar credits, so perhaps those who opt for those courses may get a step up toward those honors seminars credits.</p>

<p>Speaking of study abroad, I wonder if those Oxford courses and New Zealand courses would count toward honors seminars credits or just honors credits.</p>

<p>I think a lot of the problem with getting all these credits in, even with generous AP, depends on your field of study. If you are STEM major, you will take 15 or 18 credits a semester, but you will spend a lot more time in a classroom than an AS or Biz major because you will often have 3 hour labs that count as one or no credit. While one would like to take even an overload to add another honors/humanities course, there are simply not enough hours in the day.</p>

<p>Those that are fortunate enough to have AP in science courses, so they don’t even have to take labs, have a lot more time in their week and can very well do even multiple majors/minors.</p>

<p>For those not yet at Bama, even if your HS doesn’t offer AP, especially in science, I would look into self study. Our HS did not offer AP physics, but a friend of ours, a genius, actually self studied it and got AP credit for physics. If you’re wanting to do multiple majors/minors, or are planning to be in MDB or an athlete, it’s definitely something I would look into.</p>

<p>So, what about doing a semester abroad? How many credit do you usually earn and can you do it and still graduate in four years???</p>

<p>It depends on the student. if the student enrolls full-time and takes needed classes, there shouldn’t be a delay in graduation. if the student enrolls part-time, or takes unneeded courses, then there could be an issue.</p>

<p>May be best to do a SUMMER abroad…then less impact.</p>

<p>Definitely seems to us that you have to plan ahead for the abroad classes. D is in IHP so needs two summers or one semester. She is opting for the two summers. This summer she will do Oxford, if selected, and will fulfill her core with the FA and L offered. Since she is a History major, she could have opted to for that as well. But when she makes her second trip, we aren’t sure where she will go or how the courses will fit in with her needs.</p>