Dual Enrollment (Engineering

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>This is probably asked a lot, but is it a good idea to use dual enrollment credits for engineering classes? After this year I will be able to get out of the following classes:</p>

<ul>
<li>Calc 1205</li>
<li>Calc 1206</li>
<li>Vector Geometry 1224</li>
<li>Foundation of Physics I 2305</li>
<li>Physics I 2306</li>
<li>English 1105</li>
<li>English 1106</li>
<li>As well as some Liberal Education Electives</li>
</ul>

<p>By not taking these classes at VT, will this put me behind other engineering students, specifically Civil Engineers?</p>

<p>Many students come to VT with AP credits so I’d think you would be in the same boat.</p>

<p>The only two I’d have any hesitation about are Calc 2 (1206) and Physics. If you’re really really confident in your abilities in Calc then you can skip it, but I’d suggest taking physics at VT. </p>

<p>This is really for three reasons. One is that physics is very fundamental to a lot of what you’ll be doing the rest of the time you’re in engineering. Two is that it will help your GPA. Three is that if you skip all of those you’re also missing out on the classes where a lot of students ‘learn how to learn.’ You’ve taken a bunch of college level classes so you’re probably a step ahead of most, but you’re also a few steps behind the Juniors and even Sophomores who have been through the ringer a couple times and know how to budget time, how to study for college level tests, etc. If you’re trying to learn all of that AND trying to learn Calc 3, physics 2, chemistry etc at the same time I think it’s going to be extremely difficult.</p>

<p>I understand what you mean. Looking at the curriculum (for class of 2014), I would mostly be cutting out classes from my second semester of freshman year. Would I be able to learn how to learn in the first semester? </p>

<p>Once in the second semster, do I have to take sophomore and junior level classes in those available slots, or could I knock out some of my liberal education electives?</p>

<p>You could take the liberal education classes. Those aren’t always gimmes but they do tend to be easier than core classes.</p>

<p>Are you planning on trying to graduate early?</p>

<p>No, graduating early has never crossed my mind. I am still trying to iron out the details but I wanted to try and minor in Green Engineering and possibly, Environmental Policy and Planning. I was reviewing the course requirements and many of their courses match up.</p>