Dual enrollment transcripts

<p>Do I have to send the CC transcript if the courses are on my high school transcript? And if so, can I send them electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse?</p>

<p>siglio…PM that question to NicoleWyattUA and then post her answer so we’ll all know.</p>

<p>haha alright…</p>

<p>yes you have to send it. contact the CC and they will send it the way they usually do.</p>

<p>and the grades count. i thought just the credits would transfer. : O</p>

<p>my friends son went in on probation b/c his dual credit grades were 3.2 and he needs to keep a 3.4. : D</p>

<p>^how does UA calculate other colleges’ GPAs? and how did it work out for your friend’s son? it must’ve been a little unnerving for him…</p>

<p>i am not sure … my dd came in with dual credit as well and started with a 3.4. i imagine that the transcript comes with a gpa already attached so they use that.</p>

<p>i thought transfer credits came without the grades. at least isnt that how it used to be? </p>

<p>no longer, apparently!</p>

<p>i dont think that’s the case anywhere :(</p>

<p>Unfortunately, most high school counselors push the dual enrollment credits as a way to save money. Some of those same counselors are unaware that the grades transfer as well as the credits. While it is nice to try a college course during high school -pick your classes carefully: some courses are more difficult than you would think. These grade will impact your GPA.</p>

<p>AP classes on the other hand transfer without a letter grade.</p>

<p>^i assume that is the case at UA? what does it show up on the university transcript as?</p>

<p>yes, but my thinking was the dual credit woud be a surer thing than passing the AP test with a high enough score. her grades were good enough (As and Bs) but i just was not aware that the grades would transfer, and neither was my friend who had her son starting school on probation!!! haha</p>

<p>is that the way it has always been? i really thought when i was in school that only credits transferred, not grades. of course, i didn’t transfer, so i have so real experience with this, just what i thought. </p>

<p>they do push it as a way to save money … and it does. i encouraged it for my DD as a way to take certain classes now and not have to take them again. like history and english, she won’t be needing much of that so why keep taking it over and over!</p>

<p>i knew that it would be part of their “permanent record”, but i thought that was just mentioned in case they failed or dropped the class.</p>

<p>I had a different experience with dual enrollment. My first hs counselor specifically discouraged dual enrollment in favor of AP classes, in part because the hs has to share student funding with the college offering the dual enrollment courses. My second hs counselor was favorable towards dual enrollment, but as a way to get ahead in college courses. That said, I’m sure that having dual enrollment credit will save me money in the long run.</p>

<p>AP classes transfer as a “P” (pass) grade, while dual enrollment courses transfer with the grade you received. UA will calculate your GPA based on UA’s GPA scale (ie an A- is a 3.66, not a 3.7). Also, If your dual enrollment college gives A+'s, those will transfer as an A+.</p>

<p>UA may have changed its policy, but I remember not having to send college transcripts for admission purposes, though the system is set up to expect any relevant college transcripts. I have no idea if electronic submission of college transcripts is allowed, but if it is, UA should update their website and mailings to specifically mention it since I’m sure many people ask the same question.</p>

<p>i just googled, and i found a few sites that say that credits transfer but grades do not. so i guess it varies from school to school.</p>

<p>so i am not cray cray!!</p>

<p>That is correct, there are some schools that just take the dual enrollment credit without the grades. UA takes the grades along with the credits.</p>

<p>You do need to have the college send a transcript. The earlier the better. Some classes need to be reviewed (if no one has transferred in credits from that college or that particular course before) and that can take some time. For instance: you are transferring in a language class and you want to continue studying that language -you will need to know which UA class your dual enrollment class is equivalent to.</p>

<p>does anyone know if these have to be sent before our app is considered? My sister had dual enrollment credits and just brought them to her orientation (at Miami of Ohio, so it may be different). I’ve also applied to quite a few other schools and they’ve all sent “Application Complete” e-mails without the college transcripts.</p>

<p>So then I assume grades taken at an actual college transfer as well?</p>

<p>It may have changed, but in the past UA did not need dual enrollment transcripts before your app is considered since you are applying for freshman, not transfer, admission. Either way you will need to send your final transcripts, ie the ones with grades for every course you took at the college(s) later in the spring after you’ve accepted admission to UA.</p>

<p>ldinct, grades from transferrable college courses taken at or under the supervision of an accredited institution of higher education will transfer.</p>

<p>True, you don’t need transcripts from college to apply as you apply as a freshman. However, on the application when you list classes taken (senior year classes) you will then need to submit transcripts when classes are completed. In my son’s case the classes showed up on his high school transcript but he still needed to contact the individual college/s to submit transcripts to UA. Some colleges submit electronically others send via snail mail.</p>

<p>Hello Siglio and friends! Yes, an official CC transcript will need to be sent to Academic Records. Academic Records does not accept transcripts through Clearinghouse, so please have it mailed to Academic Records, University of Alabama, Box 870134, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>If a high school senior is currently taking dual enrollment courses for the first time, will an acceptance decision be on hold until the college transcript is received? My daughter was told that her college transcript would not be available until early January, after the winter break. Please tell me this will not hold up her admission decision.</p>