Duke Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

Duke applicants for Fall 2022 – this is the place for the Class of 2026 to connect with other Duke applicants and share stats, news or admissions updates.

How does your application compare to students admitted last year? Take a look at the chart below and then share your stats, activities and more.

Duke 2021 Admitted Student Statistics
Admitted Students in Top 10% of Graduating Class 95%
Admissions Test Policy Test scores are considered and required
Applicants Submitting SATs 60%
Applicants Submitting ACTs 60%
Waitlist Yes

A Note on Admissions Data We get our data from Peterson’s. If any of the data seems off, this wiki-post allows [registered CC members] (College Confidential Forums) to edit, update, or add useful information, like admissions and decisions dates and additional stats. If you have updated statistics from a trustworthy source, feel free to update this post. Just click the Edit button in the lower right corner.

For more info and Duke admissions statistics, visit the Admissions page on College Confidential’s College Search.

Anyone do their interview yet?

3 Likes

Has anybody done music portfolio submission, as an addition to engineering (or other non-music major) application?

1 Like

Does Duke interview all applicants?

It is my understanding that they usually try to match any student meeting ED or the Dec 20th RD deadline with an interviewer. I know my D20 got on and my D22 has one scheduled (both met that 12/20 RD deadline for an interview).

From their website: "After applying, students are matched with alumni volunteers on a first-come, first-served basis if an alumni interviewing committee is present in their area. Students who wish to interview must submit their application by the Early Decision deadline (November 1) or the Regular Decision priority interview deadline (December 20). An alumni interviewing committee member will contact you via phone or email to arrange an interview.

For the 2021-2022 admissions cycle, alumni volunteers will conduct virtual one-on-one interviews. Students may expect the interview to last 30–60 minutes.

We do not offer on-campus interviews with admissions officers.

Because of the high volume of applicants we receive from China, Duke will accept admissions interviews from InitialView for students attending school in China. These interviews will serve in lieu of alumni interviews. We encourage interested students to arrange an interview with InitialView as soon as possible in order to secure an appointment. All interviews must be submitted by December 1 for Early Decision and March 1 for Regular Decision.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer interviews to all candidates. Candidates who do not hear from an interviewer by November 20 (Early Decision) or the second week of February (Regular Decision) are welcome to submit an additional recommendation in place of the interview. Your chances of admission won’t be affected adversely if we are unable to offer you an interview, nor will they be affected if you choose not to send an extra recommendation."

1 Like

As an alumni interviewer, I can inform applicants that interviews for RD candidates are being assigned. I have been assigned 4 already. I have emailed all four candidates and only one has responded. Applicants should check email daily and respond to interviewers ASAP. Even if you are not able to schedule a specific interview date at this time, a response is appreciated as we at least need acknowledgement of receipt of the invitation to interview.

7 Likes

Is there a way to request an interview if you didn’t submit the application until 1/1?

You are not able to formally request and interview. (If you have a contact or know an alumni committee interviewer in your area, I suppose you could ask them to mention your name to the person assigning the interviews… ) Most people in charge do their best to have all applicants interviewed. If you are not offered an interview by the second week of February, you may submit an additional recommendation in place of the interview. Your chances of admission won’t be affected adversely if you are not offered an interview nor will your chances of admission be affected adversely if you choose not to send an extra recommendation

3 Likes

Any reason for concern if I’m a domestic applicant who applied by the priority deadline and still hasn’t gotten an interview request?

1 Like

I’m in the same boat (if December 20th meant ON or BEFORE because I submitted that day). I think some of it can depend on interviewers in your area, like their availability or how many you have in your respective area.

I know in my area that we used to only have one interviewer, and he was on the Board of Trustees. He isn’t on the board anymore and I don’t think he really does interviews. I haven’t been contacted!

1 Like

I’m a parent of a current Duke first-year who was admitted RD last year without submitting a test score. He had a very rigorous course load at a top public HS and 4.0 uwGPA. Targeted ECs, with some awards, related to his field of interest. Very good essays & recs, and he felt very good about his interview. He’s thriving at Duke with excellent grades his first semester.

I’m sharing this b/c he really didn’t expect to be admitted without a score, and there were many students with tippy top scores at his HS who did not get in. Hopefully this encourages other test optional applicants out there. And, of course, while Duke is great, there are so many other great schools too so hang in there!

8 Likes

Hey I submitted my app on December 21st my time but December 20th est time and got an interview so the priority deadline is definitely on December 20th/ early hours of the 21st. But don’t be discouraged if you didn’t get an interview as it is based on alumni availability in your area! : )

Ohhhh good to know LOL I thought it being submitted by the 21st meant before or on, so I did EST on the 21st.

I heard that regardless they still try and assign you to someone, and barely anyone in my area applies, so maybe that helps my case (if I even have an alumni interviewer nearby). Aren’t the interviews virtual though? So does location even matter?

Yes, because they want to have interviewers who are familiar with your region (ideally your school district). That way, they can evaluate you in appropriate context.

2 Likes

Good advice and a useful habit to get into doing early. My D22 submitted RD in early December and got an email about an interview on Monday. We’re in Texas. (Just FYI for others looking for interview timeframes.)

just for engineering?

Oh yes forgot to mention I applied in trinity and I’m from London and my interview is next Friday.

1 Like

My D got an email for interview. She is applying for computer science.

2 Likes

great! which state?