Duke Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

Don’t want to be rude, but I’m fed up with all the questions on portal astrology. As my son said, there’s only one sign of getting in, which is your acceptance letter. That’s it. I know everybody is exhausted, but it will be done in three days. Hang in there.

8 Likes

Yeah, I don’t disagree but there is an aspect of fun to it. Also, it’s been true based on other universities. For example, at NC State a few days before letters went out, the notification was already in your account and it allowed you to pay the deposit. For UNC, the withdraw button only disappeared for those that were admitted. While I agree with you on the astrology thing, it’s held true for some school and in general is fun to think about.

3 Likes

then why didn’t they request it from everyone? especially us intls

I don’t intend to hold hope high because you don’t know if some schools’ confirmed astrology holds true for others until the moments you see Congratulations.

I know someone who is a freshmen at Duke and I mentioned the portal thing with my long FA checklist as a joke, and he was like “Oh, that’s a valid thing. I had that last year.” So it could mean something IMO, I don’t think it’s all BS but maybe that’s just me

1 Like

I have 5 items but most people in my country only have one, plus they asked for an additionnal form on IDOC recently. Idk if it meand anything im so hopeless

1 Like

I mean from a logical standpoint it seems better to have more than just the FAFSA and CSS. So even if it means nothing it still makes me feel better. I’d rather see what I have than only have the 2.

1 Like

true! especially as an intl

I’m international with no extra requests just praying that it means nothing. I love duke it’s truly my dream school. God is with me and I trust in him and good luck to all of you!!!

3 Likes

But, for someone who actually was admitted, EVERYTHING can be confused for “a sign” of admission. Ultimately, they have no idea.

1 Like

Agreed. And the other side of that coin is: given the very high chance of rejection at these highly selective schools any perceived portal sign can always later be assumed as confirmation that it was a sign of being rejected.

Consider this: I buy a lottery ticket and someone tells me that because I have two consecutive numbers it’s a sure sign I’m not going to win. Later I find out I didn’t win. Do I then say “having consecutive lottery numbers is a sure sign of a losing ticket”?

4 Likes

Reading all these posts about portal astrology, I’m confused as to what is being thought of as a possible good sign and what is not. Can someone please clarify

When are decisions being released?

No.

No one can.

Because the only sign that means anything is a letter that contains either the word “congratulations” or the word “regret.”

8 Likes

The theory is that if you have more than simply your FAFSA and CSS on your financial aid checklist, that you have a more favorable chance of getting in because it means they are processing your financial aid. I have this, and mine shows March 9th as the date. Some people on Reddit got likely letters because of the BSA, and most of them (but not all) had the expanded checklist.

A theory is a theory. I’m not sure where some people are drawing the conclusion that it is the end-all-be-all and a “sure sign.” I never said that, and I never saw anyone here claim it was factually accurate. I don’t think most people here who are looking at the portal astrology, like myself, actually believe that all of this is 100% accurate. It’s just an interesting thing to look at, and for some schools this has rang true. So that’s the theory, to answer your question. But it’s nothing but a theory (key word :smiley:)

Oop I just realized I responded to the wrong post. Whoops. Didn’t mean to respond to you.

1 Like

Several entries on DD’s financial aid checklist with new dates (all during March)

Sorry if this is a silly question but would the financial aid checklist indicator apply to students who did NOT apply for aid?

Yes, it’s a good sign in my opinion. Certain schools request documents from only certain people, and if they are looking into it it seems to be a good sign. Hopkins requested documents from me later in the admissions process (while decisions were likely being made) and I ended up being admitted. Although it is not a definitive acceptance, from my personal experience (and my lack of being requested documents from Duke which further proves the financial aid office is NOT requesting from all applicants), I think you should have some confidence in your chances of getting in.

4 Likes

I am referring to international students who did not submit CSS/FAFSA

It doesn’t “indicate” anything anyway.