Duke Early Decision for Fall 2023

Good to know. Daughter is XC/Track so it could be specific to the sport. We couldn’t believe it when we were at the official earlier this fall and they gave us guidance to do RD. Interestingly some of the recruited girls (who were already Duke students) said they didn’t spend as much time on the application since they were already flagged. Having 2 kids go through - one with the “normal” process and one with the recruiting process the same year has really opened my eyes to the disparities of those with hooks and not! Pton definitely gave guidance to do SCEA and she got a likely letter in Oct, with formal admission letter just this past Thurs. Congrats to your student-athlete.

1 Like

Did you child get in?

Daughter denied

Trinity app (Bio, Dance)
Active legacy (interviewer, donor, volunteer)
URM
ACT: 36 superscore, best single 35
GPA: 4.4 W and some college level (organic chem, bioengineering)
Hiccups on midterm grade report
No AP school
2-years lab research, including NIH $$ and presentation
Nationally awarded dancer w dance supplement
Founded specialty service org interfaced with low-income schools and hospitals
Founded 2 STEM orgs in school

4 Likes

Wow. Great application. I’m sure she’ll get into a great college!

3 Likes

Coaching we received was only to submit the 4’s and 5’s

1 Like

Twin son denied. We did get a nice legacy-specific rejection letter though. Twin daughter (recruited athlete) did not end up applying to Duke and instead committed to Princeton and went thru ED process, despite Duke offer with coach-sponsored spot on the team. Was hoping at least one of my twins would be a blue devil. Good luck to all who are still in the running!

1 Like

Does the letter give details on how many deferred?

Michigan does the special letter too. I think it’s intent is to make the kids feel better but I think it does the opposite. I’m so sorry!

My D24 will be a double legacy but I know it won’t move the needle much.

1 Like

Last year it was 88 and only 11% got accepted in the end from that group, I read (which is a higher acceptance rate than RD I guess but still small percentage). I would imagine though, some of the 88 did drop off for other schools, so in the end the rate could be higher. I assume this year is similar but who knows. Hopefully they will do a press release with stats next week.

1 Like

Definitely more than 88 deferred. Maybe you mean 880.

1 Like

Yes sorry. I think your right 880.

Why? The assumption if you don’t submit it is that it is bad, so net net better to be transparent with folks IMHO…

What was explained to us is that they just evaluate based on the information that they you provide. So if you don’t submit some scores, they don’t assume they were bad. They being said, if another student submits all 5’s in all APs, I’m sure that is an advantage. Is less about transparency and more about submitting your best stats, I suppose.

2 Likes

And you would be right👍

My son got deferred as well.

Our alumni interview experience was a hiccup. First we missed it and then my son was only able to had a phone call with an alumni with fever.

while reading the admission office letter, I wonder if what materials can be provided. School had already shared the midyear grade for his senior year.

ACT: 36
GPA: 4UW with quite rigorous program. 11 AP by Junior year with 7 5s and 4 4s
Research program in 9th grade with paper published
Summer programs through top 30 well rated college
Project of his interested area through junior and senior years

1 Like

Seems a bit naive… The only thing that is ever truly optional is whether or not you apply… That’s the game…

Duke admits record low 16.5% of Early Decision applicants to Class of 2027

1 Like

ACT:33
GPA: 4.46 weighted; 3.75 unweighted
8 Aice Classes
7 AP
6 Dual Enrollment Classes
Aice Diploma
Needs to Pass Ap Calculus BC and Ap Physics C exam his senior year to get AA Certificate.
5 Years in the Baseball team, made the HS team as middle schooler.
Over 100 Hrs of community service.
It was a long shot.

I was just accepted ED, and have already withdrawn other applications but now I’m wondering, would Duke have seen if I didn’t withdraw? Would there be consequences? Obviously I know it’s only fair to other applicants, but just curious :slight_smile:

Duke appears to have admitted a smaller number of applicants during this ED cycle than it has in at least the last 5 years. Only admitted 800 applicants were admitted for the class of 2027. Below is a list of the number of ED admits going back to the class of 2023:

Class of 2027- 800
Class of 2026 - 855
Class of 2025 - 840
Class of 2024 - 887
Class of 2023 - 882

Thus, the total number of ED admits is down 5% to 10% from previous years. That is not a huge number, but it is interesting nonetheless.

1 Like