Duke Early Decision for Fall 2023

I noticed that as well, and if you strip out Questbridge students, the remaining number accepted ED drops from 813 to 745 (8.4%).

Either Duke is planning to have a larger RD round to make up the difference, or they are intentionally reducing the overall class size for 2027. Duke has had some challenges with providing adequate housing this year for all students who requested it due to an abnormal number of students taking a gap year during Covid coupled with an increasing trend of seniors wishing to remain on campus. (here: After fall housing shortage, Duke says it will have enough on-campus housing for spring - The Chronicle). It’s conceivable that the lower ED total is in part a response to that.

4 Likes

You made an excellent connection. If I had to guess, I would say they are intentionally reducing class size for the class of 2027 to address the housing issue. They may be targeting a class size a lot closer to 1,600 than 1,700.

3 Likes

I am sorry to hear about the deferral. However, it also means your DS’ application is still alive, so stay hopeful! In terms of legacy, I am curious how involved you had been with Duke over the years, in terms of volunteer time and donations?

I have been an alumni interviewer for the past 7 years. I have also donated for the last 15 years straight. No one is naming a dorm after me for my donations, but I have been consistent.

2 Likes

Wow, then I am really surprised. Consistent donations usually carry a lot of weight because they speak volumes about your loyalty. I will PM you.

2 Likes

Do we have any literature that says how many kids were deferred? I have heard that some elite schools will defer upwards of 80%! Do we know anything about the number of deferred kids at Duke this year?

I have not seen any information from Duke regarding the percentages of applicants who were deferred or rejected.

1 Like

Depressing…is this true?

But being deferred means different things in different programs and at different schools. According to Christoph Guttentag, dean of undergraduate admission at Duke University, “The hard truth is that if you applied early decision and were deferred, for most of you, unfortunately, the process is essentially over. Take a look at the defer letter – does it say what the admit percentage is for defers? If it does, take that number seriously. Keep that list of other colleges you’ve applied to close to your heart, because the odds say you’re going to be choosing from among one of them.”

1 Like

Similar here. Interviewed for over 10 years. Was Cornerstone and President’s Society donor.

1 Like

Big bummer. I will PM you.

Apparently this year, 800 accepted, 700 deferred, all the rest denied in ED. So fewer deferred than ever before. A shift away from deferral seen at many school. Tough year for ED!

1 Like

Wow! I knew a lot of athletes were accepted Duke ED but there’s a Instagram for admitted students and the # of recruited students is crazy!

2 Likes

I have not seen any releases from Duke disclosing the number of students who were deferred. Can you provide a link to the article or web page providing that information? Thanks.

Please tell me where you got this number. My daughter was deferred and the letter did not state how many were deferred, but did state that anywhere between 5-10% of them will be accepted which although better than the regular decision rate, is still pretty dismal. Hoping for the best, but would love to know what the deferred number is.

5 Likes

Do you have the exact stat? Or link to the Instagram page?

We should meet up sometime

1 Like

In the ED form you had to check to respond to the offer of early admission to Duke it says: I understand that if I violate this agreement, my admission status at Duke and any other college or university will be subject to review and possible revocation, and that Duke may share the identity of enrolling students with other colleges and universities.

So yes, there is a chance that Duke would have found out that you did not withdraw applications to other schools after being accepted ED if schools share lists of students admitted ED and yes, there could have been consequences.

I was sent an official FB page for ‘27 but do you have the instagram?

I read through the entire thread and happy for all the kids who were accepted. For those who were deferred or rejected, there is a place for you! And you will find your happy place!! Just continue to grind and be patient. My daughter was accepted. She is incredibly excited. I read through all the kids stats and they are mind boggling. Its true that this generation is going to save the world! What I think makes the biggest difference is the EC activities and how they match with your interests and essays. Most people in this forum list all their statistics and AP scores but don’t detail their ECs. I read several times people mention “strong EC.” But that is very subjective, as are the essays. I think the limits of a forum like this are in the arena. No-one can truly explain all their EC activities and how they jived with their essays etc. And that could be the difference between accepted and rejected. With that said, my daughter:

GPA 3.98UW/4.5 W
12 APs (7 completed, 5 in progress) Don’t know her scores but a smattering of 3s, 4s, and 5s.
1530 SAT
National Merit Semifinalist
Class Vice President
Junior and Senior Captain for 3 sports
4 sport varsity letter winner all 4 years
Junior Olympics participant and national championship participant
Multiple summer internships and independent research leading to 2 publications
Founder of 501c3 non-profit
County student equity leader
Diagnosed with a neurological disorder and is an ambassador for the national organization for the disorder
Had 4 exceptional letters and poured her heart into her essays. I cried when I read her common app essay. But then again, Im her dad. :wink:

5 Likes

would you be comfortable mentioning demographics/residence etc.?