Duke Early Decision for Fall 2023

I’m guessing that most of those are athletes + a few others with hooks.

That’s interesting so are you saying that most admitted Duke ED’s are athletes?

I don’t believe that is true. According to the following article, athletes make up about 10% of the class: https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/04/duke-athletics-annual-equity-report-shows-differences-between-mens-and-womens-teams .

If you assume all freshman are admitted during the ED process, that would mean only about 170 of the ED admits are athletes.

2 Likes

No, I’m guessing that most EDs are applicants with hooks, especially athletes.

Here’s the math. Duke sponsors 27 intercollegiate sports teams, involving 800+ athletes. That means that they are admitting about 200 or so athletes per year, all or almost all of whom are going to be admitted ED. There are also going to be others with special talents who are recruited early.

In addition to athletes/special talents, underrepresented minorities (almost 25% of last year’s freshman class), legacies, and children of faculty or big donors and celebrities are also going to get special consideration.

It’s not a stretch to think that those hooked applicants are going to be more than half of the 852 number cited above who were admitted ED.

Makes complete sense. Well we do not fall into any of those categories I guess now we will have to just wait and see.
I just have been preparing my son that wherever he ends up it will be the right fit.

3 Likes

I have no way of confirming or refuting your assertion. It is certainly possible given how broadly you are defining “hooks.” It is unclear exactly how much legacy is worth these days. I have heard unofficially that the only advantage legacies receive is an additional reading of their application. However, it is common knowledge that you have to apply ED in order for it to be worth much of anything.

1 Like

No I just know things

I read an article in which the author said that an administrator at Williams told him that they’d admitted 35 legacies in a recent year. Williams has a freshman class of only about 500, so that’s a significant number, especially ED. I have no idea how many legacies Duke has. They don’t like to admit to that, but I’ll bet they have them and that the number is not insignificant.

admitting a legacy doesn’t mean they admitted because of the legacy though. a legacy kid might just have a deep connection and love for the school and be a great candidate because of that.

1 Like

Of course.

But what we do know is that a school which accepts only 6% of its applicants, as Duke did last spring, they are turning away many applicants who are just as qualified as those they are admitting. I’m not naive enough to think that legacy status isn’t what makes the difference in gaining admission for what is still a highly qualified applicant. The point is that there are a number of applicants who are given special consideration for admissions during the early admissions process, starting with athletes.

1 Like

guys we only have around 10 days left before decisions come out so if the math ain’t mathing, it’s fine. we’ll have our decisions very soon!!! don’t stress too much more about legacy and athlete stuff and the acceptance rates and percents and whatnot since it’s literally all out of our control </3

8 Likes

My son has his midterms on Friday he said he is going to wait till after he takes them to see if he got in.

D has mid-terms too. But I guess she will be glued to her laptop, refreshing every second, waiting for the ball to drop!

2 Likes

Duke has said that decisions will be released by the end of December.

no, every duke info session i’ve been to has said that they “guarantee” the ED decision release date to be “by December 21st.” not the end of the month. the website says “mid-december

here’s the historic data:
2021 - Class of 2026 - released Thursday, 12/16 @ 7:00 PM
2020 - Class of 2025 - email on Tuesday, 12/15 that decisions would be released Friday, 12/18
2019 - Class of 2024 - email on Monday, 12/9 that decisions would be released Thursday, 12/12
2018 - Class of 2023 - email on Monday, 12/10 that decision would be released Thursday, 12/13
2017 - Class of 2022 - released Thursday, 12/14
2016 - Class of 2021 - released Wednesday, 12/14
2015 - Class of 2020 - released Thursday, 12/10
2014 - Class of 2019 - released Thursday, 12/11

i’m guessing next thursday or friday, respectively 15th or 16th of this month. internally freaking out </3 they usually send out an emailing confirming the release date a few days beforehand, i jus dont know when that email came out last year.

4 Likes

Based on reading last year’s ED thread, it appears the portal announced on Thursday, Dec 9th that admissions would be 12/16 at 7pm, and there was also an email sent later that day(on the 9th). Which I suppose means the portal/email update could come today for a release next Thursday… D23 is not ED, but D21 is at Duke so I am along for the ride.

3 Likes

I emailed the admissions office and this is what they told me.

I agree that decisions will be released a week before Christmas.

1 Like

So, are the decisions releasing next Thursday or Friday (15th/16th), the 21st or in the last week of December?

There’s no official date yet but my best guess is Dec 15th evening. Definitely not the last week of December.

3 Likes