Duke Early Decision for Fall 2023

OK, I was worried that it might mean deferred but if everyone had it, then its no signal value

Lol don’t worry we’re in the same boat. You’re not supposed to have midyear grades in anyways

Mine were in because my counselor sent them in - we are on a trimester system.

1 Like

My daughter’s that is - not mine.

tomorrow is a big ED day. Amyone knows application trends in colleges that have already come out. higher/lower?

im guessing lower acceptance rates across the board, i feel like more kids are EDing nowadays because early rounds traditionally have higher acceptance rates + schools are being more flexible abt EDers backing out of ED agreement when finaid offer doesn’t match up with NPC.

4 Likes

Seems like a slippery slope. Wouldn’t the ED institution simply opt for the full pay candidates since no financial risk?

maybe? but for the most part, NPCs are accurate and most people do run them before applying ED. so most people don’t have a basis for breaking ED, i think the % of ppl breaking ED contract is very low, maybe less than 1%, since i’ve only anecdotally heard of it happening.

and i think that the goals of (top) colleges aren’t just to collect tuition and room n board from students, but to also identify potential in kids who can “change” the world and became famous alums or whatev and contribute to college’s future
and those kids aren’t always from full-pay families. or maybe im romanticizing it.

anyway, i think that since schools are more flexible abt applicants breaking ED bc of financials, the “financial scariness” of EDing is gone. so more ppl ED.

5 Likes

Duke is need-blind. The admissions team is not aware of whether or not a candidate is applying for financial aid.

3 Likes

Not for internationals.

9 Likes

An interesting article on “need blind”

1 Like

Weren’t the plaintiffs awarded financial aid at these institutions??? No private school owes anyone anything. Shouldn’t they be grateful for what they got? Sour grapes?

1 Like

Not sure of the outcome- but I agree with you

manifestin for everyone!!! tmr is our last fully day of waiting for decisions </3

4 Likes

Seems like it’s been lots of deferrals elsewhere (Ivy)

1 Like

Awaiting my twin son’s Duke ED. I’m an alumnae (and area interviewer - had to recuse myself this year since kid is applying) so hoping for the best. :crossed_fingers:t4:

As for other ED trends, his twin sister is a recruited athlete who was just officially accepted at Princeton today (her likely letter posted mid Oct after verbal commit and app submitted). She just signed up for the Pton class of 2027 Insta site. Randomly sampled profiles from accepted students and more than half appear to be recruited athletes. Twin daughter (also recruited at Duke and received athletic sponsored spot, but decided to go to Pton) was told by Duke coach that she should apply RD to give room for ED admissions to focus on non-athletes. Maybe it was just her sport but that is what she was told by the Duke coach for her sport - fwiw. :woman_shrugging:t4: Doesn’t matter now since she is going somewhere else! Anyway, anxiously awaiting Saturday for twin son. Will be tough, even as a legacy kid. I know lots of my alum friends with very qualified senior 2023 kids who applied. And as other alum poster said, for legacy hook to count you need to apply ED. Best of luck to all!!

10 Likes

Can’t believe I got accepted!!! :smiling_face_with_tear: thankful for everybody that helped me do it. BLUE DEVILS

2 Likes

you messing with us?

manifesting :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Yes, ED decisions will not be released until 2pm ET tomorrow.

1 Like