Dynamic Interview for Marquis Awards

Hello! I have been selected as a finalist for 2023. Can I get your email/any social media to ask a few questions about the Marquis & Lafayette Awards (assessment process)? Please PM me if you don’t mind it. Thank you in advance.

When I did it, each group had a Lafayette shepherd (usually a Marquis scholar or fellow) who helped lead icebreakers and explain things. We were not given a specific topic or problem to solve but were just told to solve a problem. This was a couple of years ago so it may have changed. If it helps her feel more prepared, your daughter can brainstorm a list of things she brings for a potential solution/project. For example, any leadership/job/volunteer experiences, unique background (culture, race, socioeconomic, geographical, etc.), or previous problem-solving. I didn’t do any of that prep though and I was fine. I would use it as an opportunity to just show how awesome she is and get to know her potential future friends.

Also, for any future application cycles that look at this thread, I know ED applicants who received a Marquis scholarship, not sure about the fellowship (although they probably exist). People don’t really talk about college apps/scholarships once they’re in college, so I only know the experiences of my friends. If you are reliant on merit aid to come, don’t apply ED. (If you have financial need though, Laf covers all demonstrated need. That may not be enough to actually cover all your expenses because the gov’t likes to overestimate family contributions, so use the calculators.)

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I appreciate it!

Hi! Based on my understanding, the assessment process will last several hours and consist of several parts: 1. 30-sec introduction part, 2. group work (I will need to solve a problem related to given topics in a group of six other candidates), 3. presentation of the work done.

1. Could you please tell me what topic was given to your group, and how did you approach its solution?
  2. Is the task intended to test our knowledge or should we solve it based on our own experience?
  3. Will we be asked any specific questions about Lafayette and ourselves (my interests/experience and how will the education I get at Lafayette help me achieve the things I want?)
  4. Will there be a limited number of students who will present the collectively completed work to the judges at the end? (For ex. the group members will choose 2 people who will present the solved problem/situation?)
  5. How did you approach your 30-second introductory part? (name, hometown, projects, passion ooor?)
  6. What should I consider when I work in a team?
  7. In general, what should I be prepared for; do you have any specific advice?

I don’t know if it’s six people per group this year, but my year we were four per group. It was virtual, so that may have impacted it. They will probably go over the process and various steps during the introduction part.

1. We were not given a topic, but just told to find a problem and solve it. It didn’t need to be a real problem, I believe some groups talked about a zombie apocalypse or other fantasy issues. Other years may be different. We decided to do something related to the pandemic because we understood the issue well and could apply our experiences. All of us had some tutoring experience, so we decided to do a virtual education thing.
  2. The task is to see how you work in groups and problem-solve. The actual solution isn’t the main focus. That being said, your experiences do matter, in that you can show how your experiences would contribute to laf and how you use your experiences to problem-solve.
  3. Probably in the icebreaker section once you’re sorted into groups. The admissions team (not the shepherds) already knows a lot of the answers, so it’s partially for the shepherds but mostly to get to know your teammates. Don’t be afraid to show your personality or use humor if that’s your thing.
  4. No. When I did it everyone presented and we also talked about how each person contributed to the solution. We found it helpful to share a google doc and comment who would cover each part of the presentation. The google doc was also helpful in moving ideas around and sharing contact info.
  5. Tbh, I prepared a short snippet talking about my love for ___, but when others talked for 1 minute I extended it. Now, I wish I didn’t cave to peer pressure and just stuck with my short intro. I would do 1-2 sentences about name, hometown, and maybe clubs. Don’t spend too long on that because the admissions team already knows that, they want to see what makes you different. Then, focus on one thing/interest that makes you special. Again, don’t just rehash your application but talk about one aspect of yourself.
  6. I don’t completely understand the question, so lmk if you meant something else. Basically, try to be a good teammate, and don’t think about it as a competition. If focus on making the team work/gel, it not only makes to experience more fun but also shows leadership. Ex. I tried to make sure everyone was included in the discussion and asked quieter individuals for input. I also tried to not interrupt, to listen, and to build off of others’ ideas. Also, don’t be afraid to offer constructive criticism. I like the sandwich method: something you like, criticism, and potential solution or calls for other input. Ex: I like how you want to ______. However, I think ____ is impractical because ______. Maybe we could try _______. Does anyone have another solution or input?
  7. Be prepared to show your personality. If you want, you can practice answers or prepare responses beforehand. During the actual thing though, don’t read off a response or recite from memory, be natural. If you do write down potential responses, try to keep them to bullet points so you still talk like you.

The process is nerve-wracking, but they already like you, so try to relax. Don’t procrastinate like me, prepare as much as you think you need a day beforehand. Then, before the event, make sure your technology is all working (if you’re virtual) and do whatever ritual to calm down and be confident. Superman poses, breathing exercises, and pep talks help me. Again, they aren’t trying to get you, this isn’t a test you can fail. They just want to get to know you more and see how you could fit into the class they’re building.

Honestly, fake it until you make it. Everyone else is probably nervous and faking it too. I was shaking during it, but I tried to project confidence and I think it helped. The team knows you are nervous and will try to make the process as easy and fun as possible.

You’re going to meet a lot of driven, academically strong, and involved candidates. You’re at the event not because of a mistake, but because the college sees something special in you. Don’t let imposter syndrome scare you, tell you you don’t belong or prevent you from talking. You do belong and your contribution is valuable.

Final note: It’s okay to need rest after a social and stressful event like this, so feel free to rest and treat yourself afterward.

Hope this helps!

PS. Hi mom. Not sure why you’re still reading these threads, but you’ll probably read this. Love you <3

Oh my god, oh wow! I didn’t expect such a thorough and detailed response; thank you for taking the time to explain everything. Although I saw your response after the DAE, I found that it went exactly as you described. Regarding my experience, I found the group work to be quite challenging but also thought-provoking. Also, I was able to make some amazing friends thanks to the group work (we even connected on Instagram afterward!). While there were moments when I felt like I could have done better, overall, it was a fun experience that I already miss. Thank you again for your help and support. I wish you all the best! Have a great day!