EA Class of 2023

My daughter was accepted with a great merit package: $26,000/year from 2 different awards! She was floored.

She’s still not sure about the school because we haven’t had a chance to visit yet, but every interaction I have had is wonderful. It truly seems like a special place.

Admitted! Still waiting on merit amount. His acceptance was posted today, so seems they are maybe coming in batches. Time to plan another visit!

D19 was accepted with generous merit. She is waiting on another EA school, plus five other 5 RD schools, so we are a few months from a decision. I don’t think Lawrence is her first choice (at this point), but I think it’s an excellent school. She’s in the driver’s seat, not us, for this decision (assuming financials work out), but I’d be happy if she chose the school.

Hi,

I am a parent of a sophomore. It was not long ago that I was in your shoes and our daughter was making her decision about college. Happy to answer questions if I can be of help.

@swimsoc2013 Thanks for popping in and answering questions! My DS has Lawrence at the top of his list. We will attend an admitted students day in Feb. He’s seen the school, but not with students, so we’re looking forward to our visit. I’d love to know your daughter’s pluses and minuses. What’s great, and what could maybe be improved.

From an academic standpoint, how challenging is the trimester schedule? Is there time for clubs, music, athletics? How has your DD found the professors to be? Great ones? Duds? Accessible?

I guess I’d also like to know the general “vibe” of the student body.

I appreciate your willingness to answer questions!

Hi, The trimester schedule is fast paced, but it also allows students to take more classes. Our daughter has found the professors both accessible and supportive. There are lots of avenues for learning outside of the classroom. I think there are tables on various subjects at lunch that are totally optional. For example, if you want to speak Spanish or di talk about chemistry, you could do that or NOT! She is a biochemistry major and has enjoyed her professors. In addition to her classes, she is participating in independent research. She definitely works hard, but has time for other things. She is on the swim team, involved in Greek life and a volunteer algebra tutor within the Appleton community. Greek life is not a big emphasis on campus at all.

The student body is quite inclusive and increasingly diverse. My take on things is that if you want to participate, you can. At Lawrence, our daughter feels that she can really contribute. She also sang throughout elementary to high school and If you want to participate in music and are not in the “Con,” you totally can. She is not currently doing this, but may later.

All I know, is that she had a lot of options for college. We thought she would land in Southern Cali, where her sister went to school. Then, there was a visit senior year (on her own) to LU and we kept hearing about Lawrence. So, she ended up in cold Appleton and couldn’t be happier. Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Sounds like your daughter is having a great experience! Glad to hear of happy students. Thanks for the info!