EA/ED Class of 2022

S got $21,000 merit. Will visit soon -Hope he likes it!

I think we are going to visit for their Diversity and Social Action weekend. Diversity (or lack thereof) is one of my DD’s biggest concerns about the school. It will be good to see what they are doing. And visiting in Feb will be good too!

We live overseas in South Korea but our portal didn’t say anything about when the decision would be mailed. We are anxiously awaiting the package.

I am sure the mailing takes longer to get to South Korea! There was no mention of aid in the portal notification - just in the mailed version. Good luck!

@Jlong1220 Did you get to campus this weekend? I thought the diversity thing was this weekend.

@Jlong1220 I was also interested in hearing your impressions after the diversity weekend!

@birdie3 @parentmother We DID get to the diversity weekend this week - home last night since we stayed an extra day so DD could attend a class and meet the swim coach. We both liked the school very much! Very friendly, very personal. My DD no longer has any real concerns about diversity. Her concern now is more about Greek life on campus. She is NOT interested in Greek life (and is not applying to any other schools that have it.) It is kind of downplayed by the admin and staff at Centre, but it seemed to be more prevalent than DD expected. The only thing going on on campus Fri & Sat night were frat parties, which she went to and hated - tons of drinking, vaping, and juuling. Sat night she and a friend left after 20 minutes. The Admissions folks told me that - because frats and sororities are required to make all events open to the whole campus it can feel like that is all that’s going on (they have to advertise and invite everyone). But in fact, there are smaller things happening that you might not know about until you were here. They gave my daughter two names of people from the coasts who have elected to NOT be in Greek life so she can ask them what it is like on campus if you don’t join. I am encouraging her to ask every question and not hold back.

I guess the only other concern she has is the distance. We flew in to Louisville, and it is about 90 minutes driving to Centre. It is closer to Lexington (45 minutes), but there are fewer and more expensive flights. That said, the drive is really easy and pretty - well marked roads, almost no traffic. But still - it is a long way from Boston, especially since there are no direct flights right now.

Positives about the school - beautiful campus, nice facilities, VERY friendly students, feels very safe, classes are small, clearly personalized attention (everyone seemed to know we were coming, they put her up with a swimmer, set her up with a class in her major, set her up to talk to a professor in her possible major who is ALSO faculty liaison to the swim team, coach spent 90 minutes with her…) We went to see RENT on Sunday night at the performing arts center. At that time she had been on campus for 36 hours. At least FOUR students came up to greet her by name with big grins and to see how she was doing - they had met her during her visit.

Overall, if money were no object, I think DD would currently rank Centre at #4 or 5 out of 8 (Behind Smith, Bowdoin, Grinnell, and maybe Wesleyan…)

Good luck! I encourage you to visit. I was impressed overall.

@jlong1220 flying in/out of Cincinnati might be an option. It is 2 hours but the prices might be better.

@jlong1220 – if your DD hears back about Greek life (and what Centre is like if you don’t participate) – I would be interested in hearing! Thank you for the helpful post!

I just talked to my daughter about this last night. Apparently last weekend was a bit wild with fraternity parties as rush just ended. She was not planning on joining a sorority, but ended up pledging. Some of her friends did, some didn’t -
it is about half and half. She said while there is always a party to be found, that is never the only thing going on. Some nights they go to parties, some times they just watch a movie in one of the bigger dorm rooms, sometimes there is something good happening at the cultural center, and now that it’s getting warmer out they do cookouts and other outdoor activities.

I totally agree with you on the airports though. Neither Lex or Louisville are terrific, but the school does arrange shuttles there and back. The positives that you mentioned are what sold her, and am glad you got to see that side of it. What she experienced as far as friendliness and engagement are a hallmark of the school.

Thanks jlong and finalthree. Very helpful. Centre is on S’s shortlist. Love the community aspect.

Coming from Hawaii he will appreciate that. Glassblowing a definite draw for him.

We have been to campus three times. Each time when we ask about greek life, the response is similar. You can go to parties if you want, you don’t have to rush. Some people go to parties and DO NOT drink just go to be social. And if parties are not for you, the campus is active enough to keep you busy. My DD is not interested in Greek so we make sure we ask everyone their opinion.

@frogger7474 Glassblowing? What? Do tell more!

S taking Glassblowing 2 as a sr presently. Of the~ 4000 colleges, only a handful have dedicated glassblowing programs. Centre has Glassblowing I to IV, plus Venetian glassblowing !
Often has internatl glass artists come to campus.

@frogger7474 That is so cool! My DD loves studio art, thought it probably won’t be a major, I know she would LOVE glassblowing!!! Thanks for the info.

Did anyone commit to Centre?

@birdie3 My DD did! She is very excited about it! Will be taking a gap year, though - traveling in India in the fall; spring still undecided. So she will be class of 2023.

@Jlong1220 Awesome! My DD did too. These boards have been so quite I was wondering if she was the only one. LOL

@birdie3 Not sure how we might connect in a private chat, but I know my DD would love to connect with yours! Mine has not joined the FB Groups because she will technically be class of 2023, but still - would be great to connect with another student who is starting at Centre! Where are you guys from? We are in MA.

S committed to Gettysburg. closer to fam