EA Question

Does Early Action only apply to auto admits? My son is a review applicant so wasn’t sure how Early Action would work. He has had his application complete since early September.

Thanks!

@2017seniormom Early Action is for all Engineering applicants only. If your son applied to any other major, the deadline is still Dec 1 for applications and review admits will hear Jan-March.

He is an Engineering Major. Both his first and second choice. (Computer Science (1st) Computer Engineering (2nd))

@2017seniormom they are all placed in general engineering as incoming freshman and apply to major after they have fulfilled the requirements to apply.

@thelma2

Hey,Follow up question. If a review applies by EA then they won’t receive word until December 1st right? But Engineering says EA students will get their decision by mid December. Does that mean all EA reviews will get a decision and get their engineering decisions at about the same time? Because…

Does this mean Early action review engineers won’t get a chance for Galveston or Blinn?

@lessonwitch2

Being that this is the first year for EA and the first year that every applicant undergoes review for engineering admissions, by what info is available from TAMU, the applicants who are eligible for EA will receive their admissions notification in mid December.

I think the highlighted portion above is a little confusing and wish it were spelled out a little more… I have not asked an admissions counselor about it and this is an excellent question for you to email admissions about for clarification.

I can only give you my best guess to how I interpret it and what I hope it means by taking that piece you included and adding it to other things the site says.

The website goes on to say…
“All applicants who select Engineering as a first choice major, including those who qualify for automatic admission to the University via Top 10% or Academic admission, will be reviewed holistically for placement into General Engineering. To qualify for Early Action notification, your admission file must be complete by October 15.”

And then under Decision Notification is states…
Early Action
Applicants who select Engineering as a first choice major and have a complete admissions file by October 15 will be notified in early December."

Makes what you say appear to be the case for Blinn and Galveston, but what I hope that they mean is those who applied EA and are admitted to College Station will hear by early/mid December and those who applied EA but will be offered another pathway will hear in Jan. But the way it reads doesn’t sound that way. I would definitely ask for clarification. If what you say is what happens, then Review applicants will want to avoid the EA deadline so that they may be considered for Galveston and Blinn.

However, further down, under FAQ, it states “due to the increasing number of students who qualify for automatic admission to Texas A&M, we must closely monitor our class size to determine how many students from holistic review may be admitted and when.”

So it leads on to believe that EA may be considered only for the auto and academic admits who apply by the deadline, as there will be auto and academic admits who did not apply EA who must be reviewed for engineering and placed (or not) And then perhaps the review admits, even though they applied by the EA deadline, will not receive a decision until the Regular decision date.

Do email admissions and ask, and report back. That will be very helpful information.

Ok… So that was a long conversation let me clear some things up that admissions clarified for me.

• EVERYONE who applied to engineering (Auto, Academic, review) may receive their notification of engineering admissions. Even if you are not accepted to the university. [quote] Since you are an engineering applicant, and qualify for early decision you COULD get a decision as early as the middle of November.

[/quote]
    and

• The INSTANT you applied and your first choice major was engineering (or you changed your major to engineering) you were put in "engineering review" along with university review. Even if the university admits you you will still be in engineering review. HOWEVER this works both ways; you can be accepted by engineering before the university does.
  • If you application was completed by October 15th, then (regardless of if your an auto, academic, or review) will receive a decision between Mid November and Mid December
  • Lastly, if your a review and you didn't apply early action, you won't get a decision until January from engineering.
  • If applied early action and denied a spot in engineering, the engineering department will decide if they should give you the blinn team or an engineering academy pathway

Seems like they want everyone to have a fair chance.

@Thelma2

@lessonwitch2 Awesome news! Very concise information. I think that would be so helpful to everyone applying, if they described it that way on the website. Thanks for calling and getting clarification.

@lessonwitch2 Just making sure I understand, my son is a review admit but applied EA to engineering (by the Oct 15 date). While we may not find out until Feb if A&M admits him, we will find out sometime by mid-Dec if he is accepted into enginering (he’s a computer science major). Where will this be posted, because his AIS just keeps saying that he is in review.

Thanks!

@2017seniormom Exactly! Hopefully this is in your son’s favor!

@2017seniormom Your son’s admission decision will show up in AIS as soon as A&M posts them.