Early Action Class of 2023 - VT

They will still need to admit the same number of students because about 1/3 actually attend so it seems they will have to be less selective this year, good for applicants but not for the schools reputation.

It would have been easier and more beneficial to everyone if they had just moved to the Common Appā€¦like Georgia Tech.

@STEM17 Iā€™ve read that more schools are going to self reporting scores. In a way, I like it because it saves the hassle and small amount of money to send scores to multiple schools that you may not end up attending. For some strange reason my son decided to apply to FSU too (maybe because itā€™s near the beach and heā€™s tired of Colorado cold???) and they required self reporting via SSAR (different than SRAR). So, he had to fill out his transcripts two times to self report.

@DCNatFan I think kids are just applying to more schools than they did in the past. When I was a senior in 1988 I knew I wanted to go to Tech so I applied there and Radford and Longwood in case I didnā€™t get into VT. Nowadays, some kids apply to so many more schools. I saw a kid on another thread that had applied to 18 schools!!

The logic for applying to so many schools seems to be as college costs skyrocket, families need to compare financial aid packages.

Way back when I went to college, I could pay for my school year with summer work earnings.

Yeah, itā€™s gotten insane. I seem to remember VT was $4,000 per year when I attended. I think.

@CCmother4 My daughterā€™s portal hasnā€™t had the honors college message this entire time. But about 10 min ago her portal finally changed and now she has the honors college message at the bottom. Sheā€™s trying really hard not to read anything into this. Why did the message finally appear? I wonder if that field gets populated once a decision (yay/nay/waitlisted) is entered into another field. If thatā€™s the case, does that mean theyā€™re still making decisions? Sheā€™s getting really anxious and impatient for decisions. Only another 27 hours or so to goā€¦

My sons had the honors college info back in January. Then it disappeared. It returned a little while ago as well. This waiting is killing us! I wonder what it could meanā€¦

@mamma1st my question is this: What ā€œboxā€ do they mean when they said ā€œthe word ā€œinvitedā€ will be reflected in the box aboveā€. My sonā€™s portal has said this for several days but I donā€™t see a box above it called Honors College.

@hokieinCO Iā€™m guessing the ā€œboxā€ will show up with admission decision.

@sportingclaymom Ah. Makes sense. Was wondering if everyone else had a box we didnā€™t have.

My sonā€™s poral has the message about the box and honors college but donā€™t see the box

eager2019 My understanding is that there wonā€™t be a box until March 15th when they announce Honors college decisions.

My sonā€™s portal changed today and added the info about Honors College as well.

My daughter is getting anxious to here EA decisions. She was bummed when I told her not until 5pm tomorrow. She had never even had VA Tech on her radar. Then we visited last September and attended a cheer clinic and she was all in. She loved every aspect of the school. She applied University studies because she was advised this offered a better chance of admission. She wants to study animal science/pre-vet. Really excited for her and hoping she will be accepted. She has a good GPA and good test scores as well as a lot of extra-curricular. ?? for all of the kids waiting to hear!

@kathyrain I am really thinking this is a good sign! I mean, why post that if the kid wasnā€™t accepted! I may be over thinking this though, but there has to be a reason for applicants getting this message at all different times. It makes me think that once they have been accepted that pops up. ??

@Gottwins - I hope you are right

@Gottwins Iā€™m wondering too. We are regular decision, though, so donā€™t know if that would have already popped up on his if it has anything to do with acceptance - he shouldnā€™t find out until March 5. VT wasnā€™t on my sonā€™s radar either until after early acceptance application deadline, but he was not impressed with the lack of school spirit of schools out here in Colorado - I was like ā€œHello???ā€ how about VT??? We have TONS of school spirit!

My kidā€™s portal just changed today to include the honors stuff. It wasnā€™t there last night. VT is a reach school for him and Iā€™m not reading anything much into it. Just possibly that itā€™s when his acceptance status is updated behind the scenes. That would gel with him being amongst the last group if heā€™s a rejection as I think they would handle those last. So, Iā€™m seeing it as more of a half empty thing, but clearly we have no idea. So I guess I am kind of reading something into itā€¦ that this process is driving my crazy with over speculation.

School spirit is what sold my daughter on Virginia tech. My son has always wanted to go there (applying now) and my daughter a junior now wants to go right behind him.

My portal now has the honors stuff at the bottom, do you think since I am just now getting this that it is a sign of rejection?