Early Action Class of 2023 - VT

Got the same email. The application on the portal says Early Action so am not too worried. Can any ED admit folks verify if they received a similar email before decision came in.

We got same email today and my husband’s email was copied so we think it was related to FAFSA app

We received same email.

@kathyrain My son’s SRAR has not been updated as received either. He contacted admissions and they responded that there is a system issue and it’s not being updated in all accounts, but they have his.

That email had me worried/hopefull too! Glad to hear we aren’t alone. My son applied EA as a cadet and is also waiting to hear about Army and Navy ROTC scholarships. Good luck to all!

Received that email too and emailed admissions, it was just to address the fact they are beginning to review applications seeing as many people are calling and emailing the office to see if their application is being reviewed yet it doesn’t mean you rolled over to RD

@STEM2017 Do you know how difficult it would be for a student who has been accepted as “undeclared” to transition into an engineering major if that’s where they are leaning? My son has also applied to Texas A&M and Purdue and TAMU only admits maybe 100 new engineering students each semester from within. Wondering if this would be the case for other schools as well.

@sportingclaymom

It is nearly impossible to transfer into engineering from undeclared or other majors. I’m not sure why this is true, but it is.

@STEM2017 thank you for letting me know.

@STEM2017 people can do it, though honestly if someone doesnt get into engineering as a freshman my advice would be to either go to another college where they can get in at the start, or go to CC and do guaranteed transfer. Lots of people spin their wheels for a year or two at vt trying to get into engineering and ending up wasting a lot of time and money with just random stem classes to show for it

My D got the same email. Does anyone know when they will start sending out notifications?

My S applied undecided because he is truly undecided. Does this hurt his acceptance chances? He has considered business, english, physics. He does not know for sure.

because it would be unfair to those applicants who applied to engr and got rejected. VA Tech admission rate for non-engr majors is around 60% and engineering is very low (in the 20s).

DD using common app (or coalition app). She entered her grades in the app but she had received two emails telling her “Hi ###. Your Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) remains incomplete. To review your Early Action application, this information is required.” Anyone else runs across this problem?

@parentofsix There is a separate mechanism for self-reporting grades to Va Tech. It’s called SRAR. There should be a link for it on the admissions webpage. There was a notation about having to do this after the application was submitted (but it can be easily overlooked.) If you don’t see the direct link from Va Tech, you can google SRAR and link to Va Tech. Good luck. Not going to lie, the SRAR is tedious.

Its a little redundant but it appears Virginia Tech must have its own computer program to weigh out grades.

The SRAR is pretty much the same grades by year info that you input in the Coalition App 
 just in the format for Virginia Tech to feed in their system. I would assume at some point in future years they will create a program to pull the Coalition info into their system. But for now you have to do manually.

Doesn’t take too long to complete as long as you have a high school transcript in front of you.

@parentofsix I agree with your point about fairness to those who applied directly to engineering, but your statistics on admissions are way off.

If you look up the common data set VT puts out (there’s a link to it in another thread), engineering for the class of 2022 had something like a 65% acceptance rate.

Did anyone else get an email from the engineering college asking which program your applicant wanted to pursue for future planning purposes? After my son entered his response he received an automatic reply that it would be added to his application.

@Gatsb13 yes recd email asking which program applicant is interested in for Engg. Submitted response

1 Like

@Gatsb13 - any idea when decisions are expected for EA applicants