Out of State- California
3.95 GPA
30 ACT

Decision: Accepted (OOS)
Major: Statistics
W 4.0 GPA
31 ACT
Merit: Provost $1400/year

@ShenVal18 Agree on all you wrote. I definitely think another thing with VT is major more than any school seems to matter for acceptance . Engineering, Business , Biology all seemed to be ones where students were waitlisted . I was told,some of the majors were much easier not only this year but every year, Also, can’t seem to wrap my head around someone getting deferred from JMU but just got into Tech

2 years ago they took 1900 off wait list . I guess they figured safer to do that

Accepted (Honors College)
In-State
4.15 W GPA
1400 SAT

Just curious are you saying the kids that got waitlisted don’t have good personal traits I or character?

D Accepted!!
OOS
Engineering
SAT 1340 (720M)

@pkulis If they are not taking you with a 1570 not sure who they are taking. May daughter OOS also waitlisted and saw another OOS waitlisted on reddit. Architecure must be incredibly tough this year. Or maybe they are waitlisting all OOS for Arch?? Who knows but it is a very stressful application process for Architecture for sure. Good luck!

I think they definitely are reading more into extra curriculars that stand out and are different. As well as strong essays that tells stories and are unique. There’s no way I would have gotten in without being able to provide either of those. I’m extremely thankful that they gave me a chance and offered me admission. It also definitely has to do with where you live and major as well both play a huge role.

@user9167391 I am not sure what you mean by “essays”?? Four 120 word writing prompts are hardly enough to demonstrate character in my mind. Nor is a bried listing of ECs. I think it is coming down to stats.

@5OnTheHill I just find it hard to believe that it’s down to stats because I got in with 24 ACT and 3.7 weighted GPA. just my opinion!

Respectfully Disagree In That they read and grade each prompt. Giving clear and concise meaning in such a short answer can mean more than a long drawn out response.

Decision: DS Accepted
In state - Southeast Va
Engineering
3.9 W GPA (district does not weigh honors, lightly weights AP’s)
Top 20%
1330 SAT (670 M, 660 V)
6 AP’s, 3 dual enrollment (1 in engineering class at U of Texas)
Attends part of day at Engineering Technology program
Leadership as Chief Sound Supervisor in Theater, Thespian, Robotics, Boy Scouts, many hours volunteering as a sound tech.

@user9167391 True, but it also comes down to what major you applied for. Some are much more competitive than others.

Waitlisted
Business Information Technology at Pamplin
SAT 1360
GPA(W): 3.65
School doesn’t rank

I have a couple of questions about the waitlist if someone could answer them for me:

Will I still be considered for my merits (GPA, SAT) in RD or is the process of pulling from the waitlist completely random from VT’s side?

I see a trend in past waitlists where they pull ~1000 or more from WL one year then 0 the next year, alternating every year since 2014-2015. Have any of you come up with/know of a reasoning behind this trend?

I feel like my supplementals were pretty weak (especially that discrimination one) so I believe that played a substantial role in my waitlisting along w/ my low GPA

Just curious are you first generation? Also what is your major ? Major def has ALOT to,do when you have kids with 1500’s and high GPAs not getting in

@jgwolf I’m not first generation and my major is business

D20 accepted OOS

GPA: 4.21
APs: 12 I think
SAT: 1430
Major: Multimedia Journalism
EC’s: Lots including 11 Varsity Letters; NHS, Math NHS, Journalism Editor, School Photographer, School Video Editor, Communications/PR Internship, Volunteering, etc.

Received VT Scholars Merit award

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats to all those admitted for whatever reason - stats, major, essays or other. Fingers crossed for a healthy waitlist response this year!