Early Action - Class of 2024 Decisions Only Thread

@jgwolf I saw an earlier post where they appeared to take very high numbers of students from the waitlist on even numbered enrollment years and zero from waitlist on odd numbered years. I don’t know if this is accurate, but if true it is interesting and this would be one of those years.

DS - Accepted
Business
OOS
3.571 GPA
30 ACT

@Redi2cruise2024 not sure if it’s just nothing more than coincidence. 2018 was 1900 and 2016 was 1600 or so. I do think with all the high achievers that I have seen being waitlisted they may be taking some this year. Seems like a lot of CoE and Business

My son is:

Accepted
Engineering
OOS
Ranked 7/400
5.1 WGPA
1550 SAT
NMF
4 years XC/Track
Denied from Honors

waitlisted
Business
In state
Top 20% of class
3.8 uw gpa
1270 sat
5 AP classes
1 dual enrollment
Sister graduated from tech in 2018
Maybe that I am russian was also considered in the application process, I don’t know for sure(I applied as a U.S. cictizen, I never lived in U.S. before. I moved to America as a Junior in hs) so I don’t know if my nationality was a factor
Volunteered in Russia
President of a language club in Russia
Got humanitarian aid for orphans In Russia
Created a club that took care of senior citizens in Russia

All of my volunteering was in Russia, I did not do a lot in U.S. cause English is not my first language and I needed time to adjust

Accepted, General Engineering
OOS (New Jersey)
GPA: 3.54 uw, 4.5 w
CR: 31 out of 250
SAT 1090
Lot’s of EC’s

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!

Seems to me that VT did not put much stock into SAT’s this year. I know they dont even look at class rank but when seeing low SAT scores for Engineering who got in and high scores who didnt -really makes me think they didn’t even look at them

archery, to answer your question on good CS programs - I’m a parent of CS major in sophomore year at GMU, and I’m very involved in tech industry in No Va. I can’t praise GMU and the CS and Engr. programs enough. Rigorous programs, great connections to and reputation with NoVa/DC tech industry… my son had paid internship in CS after freshman year and will again this summer. NoVa has huge demand for CS and STEM jobs and GMU is doing a fantastic job in designing programs that meet those needs. They also provide a variety of options for minors and accelerated masters. I’m a VT-COE and UVA-MBA alum, and I’ve been won over by GMU. My first son two years ago and now 2nd son was waitlisted by VT for COE/CS for Class of 2024; he plans to attend GMU for CS and join his brother. Good luck with your decision ahead!

VAparentgrad, Thank you so much for your inside view about GMU. I heard a lot of good things about GMU CS. But was wondering how many of the GMU CS students get internships, percentage wise? The only reason I’m considering JMU over GMU is because GMU does not have a marching band which is very important to me. I don’t know how much I should weigh that against the better CS program at GMU. Really conflicted.

@archery I’m not sure of the stats on internships; the leadership and students tout it as a big plus, and emphasize that their students get paid internships (vs. unpaid) but like anything, I know there is competition for those. My neice is a junior at GMU Honors College/Criminology and she is in the Pep Band “Green Machine” and loves it. They claim #1 pep band in the country. They play at all the basketball games and they are a real fun, hip crew. JMU is a great school as well - I don’t think you can go wrong with either! Be sure to go to the admitted students days if you can - very helpful for decision-making.

D Accepted
Engineering
OOS
3.95 WGPA, 3.75 UW GPA
Class not ranked
ACT 32 Superscored
3K Merit scholarship and finalist for Davenport Leadership scholarship but did not get it.

A terrible practice! It’s like being declined for a job because you are “over qualified”!

Son was wait-listed, btw:

1540 SAT (800 Math)
4.00 UW, 4.35 Weighted
5/328 Rank
NHS, National Science Honors Society, Mu Alpha Theta
4 year athlete (soccer and track)
Lots of service hours (not much leadership there, though)
Will have 7 AP classes when all is done (4 last year, 3 this year)
Maryland Resident
Engineering/Computer Science
Legacy

But if they know those kids aren’t going to matriculate, wouldn’t they offer to boost the offered student stats? I’m not convinced they are waitlisting just because there is a possibility that the student might not attend.

Blows my mind!

Accepted
Civil Engineering
OOS
4.0 UW
4.73W
35 ACT composite

Was hoping for a scholarship to put it on par with UC Schools but it doesn’t seem like I got one :frowning:

There are 2 stats that make a college look good…(1) acceptance rate, which VT generally has a pretty high number (not so good) and (2) the % of kids that matriculate per acceptance, which makes the school “desirable”.

Here’s the thing, and please forgive me as I’m a “data guy”. They have a wealth of data to profile these students. There is no need to not accept the top students as you should still be able to predict a % of them that end up matriculating. A public school shouldn’t be trying to increase their matriculation…they should be trying to lure the top students.

I am familiar with acceptance and yield rates…just not convinced that they are waitlisting kids with higher credentials because they think they will not attend. I think there are many variables at play…residency, major applied to, scores on the questions they ask, diversity to name a few

@HokieCrazy

There are 2 other potential factors you may not have considered besides yield protection (which I agree may be a factor with high stat rejection):

1. They may have wanted Legacy to go ED. (I know Cornell does this).

2. Computer Science can be very difficult admit at many universities and VT may be trending this way in 2020. Have you compared your son’s stats directly to other CS majors? It is common for other schools to decline 1540’s, even with high math scores, due to limited space in CS programs. This happens at GT, UW, UC’s, UM, etc.

Accepted

in state
WT Female
SAT: 1550
GPA w: 4.47
Full IB Diploma Candidate
No rank
Engineering
Also accepted to Penn State, NC State, U of MD. Still waiting to hear from UVA (RD), Denied from GA Tech