Early Action - Class of 2024 Decisions Only Thread

1. They don’t really mention that. It does seem that VT is headed towards “first-generation” over Legacy, though.

2. CS isn’t a direct major, so he’s applying against other Engineers into the COE as a General Engineer. And yes, I’ve been comparing the numbers.

For COE, I believe admissions values strength of class schedule in high school over test scores. It appears for their engineering students they want to see AP classes in the science and math areas (i.e. Calculus BC or AB, Physics C and Chemistry). In my opinion, they want students that are academically successful in AP Stem classes. I believe they have found students that are successful in these AP classes in HS are more likely to be successful in engineering than students that scored high on the SAT or ACT.

@user7314

Those are great points and definitely not something that can be gleaned from posted stats especially for a STEM program.

Does anyone know when Hokie Access invites come out?

Hello everyone (just posted this in the other thread)! Current VT engineering student stopping by. I remembered that decisions came out this past week and decided to come back onto CC to do a little Ut Prosim and help answer questions. Been through this whole process twice as both a freshman applicant and a transfer, so I should be able to give as much insight as I can on the matter of admissions and next steps. I’m starting to get pretty involved around campus (may apply to be tour guide/lead an engineering info session), so I’m pretty excited to see a bunch of new faces this fall! Anyway, you can either PM me or ask me here if you have any questions. My family’s currently waiting for an RD decision for my brother, but at this point, he’s already content on saving money and going to NOVA for two years.

@Redi2cruise2024 @jgwolf You are right, there is a pattern of taking off the waitlist every other year. That’s because there’s a pattern of overadmission in the other years. Last year they overadmitted by a LOT, which has been discussed at length here, so it makes sense that they are being conservative this year by limited offers and having a larger waitlist. Good luck to those who are waitlisted. I think many of you have a good shot at an eventual offer.

@HokieCrazy I know people are speculating as to why your son was waitlisted, but in the end it doesn’t make sense. He has wonderful stats, extracurriculars, rigor, etc. The total package. He’s even a legacy, which you would think would increase the chances that he would accept (at least in their eyes). So nobody really knows why, and I can totally understand your frustration. I’ve heard that Tech tracks demonstrated interest, so maybe now is the time to make some calls, send some emails, etc., to express to them that he is serious about Tech and it isn’t a low-ranking safety school for him. Best of luck to him.

Accepted
In-State
1130 Superscored SAT
3.48 Weighted GPA
Accepted into HNFE

Very shocked I got in early action. I don’t see anyone getting deferred, are they just straight-up denying and waitlisting people instead of deferring? I guess my essays were good to them and my extracurriculars. I met with the head of the HNFE over the summer which could have helped my acceptance.

@calletaylor Congrats on getting in . It is probably your major. Many of those including my son were based on majors- Engineering which is hardest, Business and some Science. many of those wait listed had scores 200-330 higher than yours and much higher GPA so you should be really happy. Possible you are either first generation or had great EC’s or essays. No one really knows for sure but enjoy your time at VT if you go

Thank you for the positive note. We definitely plan on reaching out and expressing interest…high interest.

This is inaccurate.

Discussion of tracking interest (via mapping apps vs. students who had visited campus came up last year). So, I made a call to admissions outside of app review season - answer was any visit registration data does not carry over to admissions. Fast forward to ED results this year, and questions about sending letters, emails, calls, etc. from ED deferrals to show level of interest - again called admissions and I quote “we do not want calls or letters”. VT’s most recent CDS (2018-19) confirms this:

https://aie.vt.edu/strategic-analysis/common-data-set.html

In years prior to 2018-19, level of interest fell into the “considered” category (vs. important, somewhat important, not considered).

Since VT admits by major, comparing stats across different majors probably isn’t reliable.

Has anyone been able to set up the VT email after paying the $400 matriculation fee?

@ShenVal18 Interesting. It seems like admissions has been in chaos for the last couple of years. They seem to have thrown everything they did before out the window, and that at least partially led to their inability to accurately predict enrollments this past fall. There has been a lot of local chatter over the many changes that have been implemented.

I’m not sure moving demonstrated interest from the lowest level of consideration to no consideration is very impactful.

There have been numerous changes to admissions. I wasn’t only talking about that one (which is why I said they seem to have thrown everything they did before out the window). I think some of the changes have been positive, but many haven’t in my opinion.

If it was actually a measurable metric, I’m sure they’d use it, but the reality is, it’s not. If it was, it’d be a better measurement to determine whether somebody will accept, but how do you really measure that?

@HokieCrazy Some schools keep track of whether a student visits campus before applying (I suppose as an indication of how serious they are when they subsequently apply). As Shenval mentioned, the common data set usually indicates if that is the case. I didn’t realize VT had changed that in the last year or so.

Yeah, what I’m suggesting is that visiting campus isn’t likely to be a true measure of somebody’s interest. I know my son applied to a couple of schools that he visited and was “meh” about. My guess is they saw that there was no real correlation to that data point, so they threw it out. I’m just speculating.

My daughter’s college counseling office (private school, NoVA) has said VT tracks official campus visits and participation in their college fair events. Other Virginia schools have upped demonstrated interest – for instance my daughter’s college counseling office warned all students if they wanted to attend Christopher Newport University they should plan to visit the campus because the school was growing in popularity and this would impact acceptances.

Also while touring campus my daughter was told the essays would be 25% of the consideration for admission. VT invested quite a bit of time and money training professors how to review these essays. My daughter spent longer on each of these 4 essays than any of the other 20 500-600-word essays she needed to write.

Good luck to all on the waitlist or who received disappointing news. If you were waitlisted and you REALLY want to go to Virginia Tech – stay on the waitlist, while making other plans. Don’t turn your maybe into a no.