Early Decision Advice if in need significant financial aid

My son is thinking about applying for ED at Lehigh. He would need a major amount of financial aid. The concern is that if he is accepted and doesn’t get what he needs in aid, how difficult is it to get out of it. Some people have said it is not a big deal but, I have major concerns about it.

Have you run the net price calculator?

You can also reach out to the financial aid office and ask if they would do a pre-read.

4 Likes

My concern is being accepted and not being offered the financial aid we require. Do they take our aid requirements into account in an ED decision? I would assume so. But, not sure.

1 Like

Run the NPC on Lehigh
https://www1.lehigh.edu/admissions/net-price-calculator

If the net price looks affordable, then odds are good that Lehigh ED will be affordable since they’rea meet need college.
Save the form or print it - if the financial aid package is greatly different from the estimate, you can always say you applied ED based on that estimate but the University is not affordable with the new net price, are they able to match their original estimate? If not, you’re no longer bound. The binding aspect is only with the proviso you can afford to go.

8 Likes

The others answered appropriately.

I would personally not let my kids ED but I’m a full pay parent.

That’s the difference - you say you have significant need but what you say and what the college determines are not necessarily the same.

So run that net price calculator. Make sure you fill it out accurately - as things like home equity, etc. may count against you.

Lehigh is a CSS school so they will be doing a deep dive into your finances and while not an IDOC school, they will request tax documents, etc. be sent.

So accuracy is a must on the NPC.

You can read their ED agreement for more details - but the link is not taking to the form. So you might email and ask for a copy to review.

Yes, ED helps with admissions but as a parent, you should also be in your comfort zone.

Fortunately, they give you the tools to know up front what you should expect. If that’s not enough, then ED is a no!!

Good luck.

2 Likes