Early Decision at CWRU FAQ

What are the Early Decision (ED) Dates?
ED 1 Application: November 15
ED 1 Decisions: December 5

ED 2 Application: January 15
ED 2 Decisions: Two weeks from application

Early Decision is a binding agreement, stating that the university is your first choice and if you are admitted you will enroll.

Is it easier to be admitted as an Early Decision applicant?

Here’s the reality: A large portion of the CWRU applicant pool is “admissible”—in other words, they represent the accomplishments, motivation and preparation Case values. But Case can only make so many offers of admission as they build their incoming class. There simply isn’t room on our campus for everyone they would like to admit. During the Early Action and Regular Decision processes, less than half of those “admissible” students make their way to being admitted. A much higher proportion of “admissible” Early Decision I and II applicants are offered admission - typically over 80%.

Is there a difference in financial aid awards for ED students (or EA or RD)?

This one is easy: Nope! CWRU meets 100% of demonstrated financial need for all admitted students, regardless of their admission plan. (You may want to review our financial aid application requirements if you have not already started this process.)

Merit scholarships?

The philosophy here is the same. CWRU recognizes students for their achievements and their potential to make significant impacts on our campus. Merit scholarships are not tied to a decision plan.

Should I apply Early Decision?

If you see yourself at CWRU, it’s easy to encourage you to apply! But this question is not as easy to answer, as it really is about you. Where will you thrive? Where will you find challenge and encouragement? Where will you be impactful?

How much does Case’s need-aware policy impact ED applicants?? Can an applicant be rejected simply because they can’t pay enough, even if they have good stats?

I don’t know, but I would think your chances would be better during ED…They are going to balance students with need vs those without so there would be more “need” slots the earlier you apply I would imagine.
But in general,

Is there a difference in financial aid awards for ED students (or EA or RD)?

This one is easy: Nope! We meet 100% of demonstrated financial need for all admitted students, regardless of their admission plan. (You may want to review our financial aid application requirements if you have not already started this process.)

What is the Acceptance Rate for ED at CWRU?

Two thoughts:

1. Case’s latest Common Data Set, Section C21 says:

Number of early decision applications received by your institution 962

Number of applicants admitted under early decision plan 366

So that is a 38% acceptance rate for ED in the 2020/2021 cycle.

1. But also the head of Admissions says:

Is it easier to be admitted as an Early Decision applicant?

Here’s the reality: A large portion of our applicant pool is “admissible”—in other words, they represent the accomplishments, motivation and preparation we value. But we can only make so many offers of admission as we build our incoming class. There simply isn’t room on our campus for everyone we would like to admit. During the Early Action and Regular Decision processes, less than half of those “admissible” students make their way to being admitted. A much higher proportion of “admissible” Early Decision I and II applicants are offered admission - typically over 80%.

Case is likely my son’s #1 choice. We are on the West coast, and school just started this week. It will be a push to get everything needed from the school by the Nov 15 ED - is there any advantage of applying ED 1 vs. ED 2?

I think for any school, ED1 means that there are no students admitted so far so there may be more of an open slate. But given the fact that they have an ED2 means they must leave slots for that. I would think it is better to have your best application than to rush.

With ED you are bound to attend if admitted… can your family afford private college tuition (or do you think you would get need based financial aid)

You probably know you can get an idea of need based aid at: Net Price Calculator | Financial Aid | Case Western Reserve University

CWRU will offer the same type of merit aid amounts no matter if you are ED, EA or RD.