Early decision (binding) at UMiami MT

Hi-
My rising senior is considering applying ED to Umiami MT. I know of folks who have been accepted Early Action, but am wondering if anyone has experiences to share about the ED process for MT? Specifically, what is the timeline of deadlines/application (academic application, prescreen, audition)

Also- any other Umiami related thoughts/ suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Did u see this ? By October 1 and audition in October. I’m not a music theatre parent but seems this is a good place to start.

2 Likes

Hi there, my kiddo is a rising sophomore at Frost - she did EA, not ED. I’m actually surprised you can apply to the BFA ED! She started as a classical vocal performance major and is changing to BMus in music industry (and possibly to contemporary voice). The BFA program is very separate from Frost so I can’t answer many questions about that, but my kiddo is getting a BA in theater as well so I do have some thoughts about the theater department, and I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about the school and the arts community outside of the actual BFA.

My kid is very happy with her choice - she absolutely loves the UM and the city of Miami. I do think that you should be very certain about finances before applying to UM ED - they recently changed to “needs aware admissions/meet demonstrated need.” However (and I do realize that this is an issue at many many universities), cost of living is a problem for many students and their families. Miami and Coral Gables have had some of the steepest rent increases in the country, rents are now on par with cities like NY and LA, on-campus housing is limited and in high demand, and the social life can be pretty $$$ too. Our kid has good merit aid, won the campus housing lottery and isn’t into nightclubs so it’s been ok for us, but your mileage may vary!

Feel free to reach out via private message if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Good evening- just came across your post. Do you have any idea how many Frost takes for classical voice per year for Freshman?

Thank you.

As noted not a musical theatre parent but was just trying to help with a response. Sorry.

Have you asked your question here? Musical Theater Major - College Confidential Forums

Oops! I meant here: Music Major - College Confidential Forums

No, thank you so much !

Hi! I’m applying to Frost for Classical Voice this year and was wondering if you could offer some intel on your daughter’s experience. It’s my second choice right now. Thx!