East Edge apartments

<p>Are East Edge Apartments going to be covered by the housing scholarship next year?</p>

<p>I think the official word from Housing is that this is to be determined or announced at a later time, but my guess would be yes. That is not based on anything other than my personal speculation I might add.</p>

<p>I do know the units are already being leased NOW for next year for individual leases. The complex already has a good percentage of the units leased for next year to new residents.</p>

<p>Our daughter is very happy living at East Edge.</p>

<p>I certainly hope it’s offered next year. My son is loving it there.</p>

<p>Here’s what Housing had to say about it in a recent post:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1391570-changes-recontracting-current-ua-residents-3.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1391570-changes-recontracting-current-ua-residents-3.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>how does off campus housing work? My son has mentioned being interested in it. Do you go though the housing department, or through east edge directly?</p>

<p>This year you could either lease directly with East Edge or lease through Housing. Those with scholarships that covered housing leased through Housing.</p>

<p>Our daughter leased independently with East Edge. Properties vary in their practices, but EE leases bedrooms individually so each student is responsible for his or her own lease and is not on the hook for the leases of roommates. Some properties lease the unit as a group lease making all responsible if someone doesn’t pay. EE only leases to students. In place of RA’s, EE employs community assistants who carry out similar duties.</p>

<p>D’s lease runs August through July and costs less than if she had stayed in the dorms.</p>

<p>The units are furnished with a washer and dryer, fridge with ice maker, microwave, dishwasher, full xl bed, desk, chair, dresser, sofa, chair, coffee table and end table, tv stand, and ceiling fans. Each resident has his/her own private bedroom and full bath with a tub and shower. Depending upon the size, units have a bar with stools or a table and chairs. Some units have balconies or patios. Floor plans vary as does the amount of carpet and/or laminate hardwood. The complex has a movie theater, club house, tanning dome, pool, sand volleyball court, computer lab, and study room. Covered parking may be reserved for an additional monthly fee.</p>

<p>I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about EE if I can even though I don’t work for EE. For leasing information you should contact Jennifer or Kimberley.</p>

<p>Could someone please explain the transportation situation? How often does Crimson Ride come by and what are the hours? Thanks!</p>

<p>Here is the shuttle schedule to the complex:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.edrpo.com/edrAssets/propsP/377/documents/shuttleBusSchedule.pdf[/url]”>http://www.edrpo.com/edrAssets/propsP/377/documents/shuttleBusSchedule.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It departs every ten minutes from either EE or the bus hub and is dedicated to running between the two locations to pick up residents and students from the School of Law next door. South lawn is the building in front of the EE complex and UAPD on Jackson Avenue.</p>

<p>UA Housing charges a significant premium for East Edge vs. directly leasing, even though East Edge requires one to sign a 12-month lease. East Edge also allows one to have different-sex roommates, which UA Housing does not allow even for those living at East Edge.</p>

<p>I haven’t had time to visit the East Edge complex, but am told by friends that it’s very nice.</p>

<p>Is anyone else having trouble posting? For some reason it is requiring me to log back in each time I post as if I have logged out.</p>

<p>My D really likes living off campus at East Edge, but I would like to throw this thought out there to anyone who is considering letting their child move off campus next year whether it is at East Edge or elsewhere. I’m not trying to preach to other parents, but I would recommend that parents take an honest evaluation of their student’s maturity and have them do the same for themselves. Our daughter is very mature, self-disciplined, and has had no problem handling the transition, but it does require maturity. Even though it is a student only complex and is similar to on campus housing in many ways, there will be some students who are not as prepared as they thought they were to live off campus. Living off campus is great as long as the student has enough self-discipline to keep up with their assignments and get to class on time. It just seems more difficult for some students to do then it was when they lived in the dorms.</p>

<p>^^ Very true. One of the reasons we really liked the honors housing at UA and the fact that kids in living-learning communities could get on-campus housing in future years. Unfortunately, there’s no guarantee anymore. We’re going to sign up to recontract at the earliest possible time and hope for the best.</p>

<p>I emailed some questions to East Edge about the shuttle and one thing to be aware of is that the shuttle does not run past 6pm…and does not run on weekends.</p>

<p>This can be tough for kids who do not have cars. Even though it is close to campus it is still a long walk at night if they don’t have a ride.</p>

<p>REALLY hope the kids who want to stay in honors dorms will be able to. I know my son is not at all interested in moving off campus yet.</p>

<p>I hope so too. Mine would like to stay on campus next year. He does not have a car and we weren’t planning for this at all. Just hoping that early registration and being a sophomore will help.</p>