easy A class for freshmen

I know there’s no such thing “easy A” classes, but DS is engineering major. He wants a light class besides the math 150, engr 111, and phys 218. We looked the class schedule tonight, and it’s kind of confusing to understand. Some classes are already full. His NSC is not until mid June, so I’m not sure what he should take for the 4th class.

Freshman year my son took both THAR 201 and 281 with Ann Quackenbush. Both were easy As with this prof, but I have heard the grades with other profs are not as high. He also took ENDS 101 with Rodney Hills which was a great class and an easy A, but it was an honors-only course (at least at that time). Sophomore year he took HLTH 236 and FSTC 201. Both of these were online courses and easy As. He also thought POLS 207 with Dwight Roblyer was hard not to earn an A in. All of these courses met some type of core curriculum creative arts/behavioral science/international and cultural diversity requirement. You can check the core curriculum courses out here: http://core.tamu.edu Also, you can check grade distributions for each course and prof here: http://jippylong12.xyz/tamuFGD/ My son has always taken 15-18 credit hours per semester and always selects one easy elective to balance his more difficult engineering courses. Keep in mind that you must take 12 credit hours per semester to be considered a full-time student. Don’t worry that classes appear full – slots are usually added before each NSC, and there will also be chances to grab classes during drop/add week, which is the first week of classes. To view classes on Howdy, go to My Record, Search Class Schedule, and select Fall 2017. Select the subject to view all courses, then a particular course to view days/times/profs. Be sure to research profs at ratemyprofessors.com

We looked at THAR 201 but it was already full, and HLTH 236 appears to have restrictions that only health major can take. ENDS 101 is an honor class which I don’t know if son can take. I think he will try to sign up THAR 201 if possible.

Has anyone taken foreign language? I always thought foreign language takes up a lot of time although it’s not terribly hard to get an A.

@realck, My son and his roommate (both engineering majors) took HLTH 236 online – no restrictions. Perhaps this has changed. If your son also has his other requirements (U.S. History, Political Science, English, etc.) done through DC/AP credit, perhaps he can take his technical writing course required for Engineering (ENGL 210). This is online for engineering students and the grade distribution shows a high percentage of As. It’s a hard class to get, however. My son is going to be taking it this fall (his junior year) as he couldn’t get a spot last year. As far as full classes, keep watching as they usually open up spots.

@lee6666 I’m an incoming fres. here. Just curious, online (WEB?) classes don’t affect your GPA or credit hours any differently do they? Or scholarships? Because unless you have to be logged in or something, you could just find your assignment, then finish it and upload it, taking much less time than a traditional class. Right?

@NpHighTeK, online classes taken at A&M earn credit hours and count toward your GPA just as lecture classes. No difference. (Keep in mind that if you take classes at a community college – whether online or lecture – the credit transfers but your grade does not factor into your GPA at A&M.)