Econmic Status on College Apps

<p>How much of a factor does economic status play in college admissions, specifically for UC’s? Would a student see a substantial boost in coming from a poorer background (20k-30k/year) as compared to a student coming from a richer background (70k-100k)? Does this even play a factor at all?</p>

<p>Generally, no for public colleges. Private colleges might be a little more sympathetic to poor students, especially if you can tell a good story in your college essays. But then if you’re poor then you should need financial aid, and that will severely decrease your chances.</p>

<p>Really? I’ve been told that socioeconomic factors plays a role in college admission, so I would assume those that come from less privileged families would have some minor boost in their application. This is the first time that I’ve heard coming from a less privileged background working against you.</p>

<p>For the very top colleges that are need-blind, then the need for financial aid wouldn’t be a problem and having a hard life might boost your chances. But generally, colleges are still colleges, and they prefer people who can pay their tuition and donate to them generously after graduation.</p>

<p>UC absolutely gives a plus factor for low income students, particularly if you write an essay about overcoming adversity. Check out UCSD – they give points for being low ec.</p>

<p>Is there a source or confirmation on this? UC’s are the only schools I’m actually interested in. If it does play a factor, how much of a boost does it give to the applicant? Do upper tier UC’s (Berkerly and LA) take this into account, or does it not help being low income for UCB/UCLA?</p>

<p>yes,all UCs take income status into account under comprehensive review. The UCs also consider whether your family speaks English at home, whether your parents attended college, and other “soft” factors. </p>

<p>google is your friend:
[UC</a> San Diego Comprehensive Review Admission Process: Freshman Selection, Fall 2010](<a href=“http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/freshmen/eval-process.html]UC”>http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/freshmen/eval-process.html)</p>