ECU Engineering & Honors college feedback

Hi, my son got into ECU honors college (Chancellor’s Fellows) and will be doing Engineering. We toured the college and met the Engineering dept professors. It was a good experience. I am looking for feedback on their engineering program, internship, job opportunities , co op and Honor’s college. He also got into UNC Charlotte’s Mechnical engineering. We are trying to decide between the two. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

First of all, congratulations!
We looked at both programs with my son. He decided to only apply to UNCC BUT that was more related to choice of major than anything else. The ECU honors college is great and draws a lot of high caliber kids that aim for med school. They take ~25% of their med students from that pool. The engineering department is pretty small compared to UNCC and NCSU too. We felt the whole department was more of an afterthought after their burgeoning CS programs and health related offerings. Also, CLT has more opportunities for jobs, internships, coops etc.

1 Like

@1dadinNC just checking, you are saying ECU CS program is “good”? Trying to compare multiple schools and various price points/scholarships…

Yes. They are putting a lot of money into the CS programs as they see those programs as a major draw for students and employers. All new facilities etc. If your kid is interested in CS then I would take a really good look at faculty and read up on them on ratemyproferssors. Some colleges build fancy buildings but the teachers are not very good. Some programs are diluted to the point that they are money grabs. Please look at first destination outcomes of grads and salaries. Good programs put these front and center.

People look at the wrong things when choosing colleges – like USN rank, which is worthless IMO.

1 Like

I appreciate your input. Any thoughts of ranking CS in public NC colleges like UNC, NCSU, UNCC, ECU, APP? (Or did I just do that?!)

Look at programs using outcomes NOT rankings. Rankings are worthless.:
NCSU CS average salary is $83K, 200+ grads

UNC Chapel Hill average salary is $95K, 200+ grads

ECU is $68K, 50+ grads

These are numbers reported by the US Government based on data provided by universities. So, about as legit as one can get.
You can look up every school with some effort.
Under Typical Earnings tab, choose all fields of study and pick major of interest.

3 Likes