Edgar Fellows/Honors College?

<p>Hey guys, I was recently admitted to Geneseo and today I got a letter in the mail telling me I was selected to apply to be an Edgar Fellow/member of the Honors College?
I was just wondering if any of you got that letter, and was also wondering if that's something that goes to a lot of admitted students or only to a few?

<p>Think it was about 50 people when I attended. That was some time ago...</p>

<p>I and two others from my school received the letter as well. I believe it is a very challenging program to get into; our valedictorian last year was not accepted and he is at Yale this year. Also, ChandlerBing, it seems as if we applied to a lot of the same schools (Yale, Duke, Williams, Amherst, Binghamton, and Geneseo).</p>

<p>Hey Chandler... I got the letter as well!</p>

<p>woop...(we're probably ending up at the same college too :) )</p>

<p>got the letter too......good luck to everyone. I think it is a very small group that is invited.</p>

<p>As a Geneseo Honors Program alumnus -- and student of Bill & Stacey Edgar -- I'm thrilled that they renamed the program in his honor. He was an incredible teacher and advisor during my time there, and I'm a much more intellectually richer person for having worked with him. I highly, highly recommend the program.</p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p>Chris....maybe you can help me with this.....so far I am accepted into Binghamton SOM, accepted into Geneseo and invited to apply for the Edgar Fellows Program, also accepted into Stony Brook and received a letter telling me that I have been admitted into the Business Leaders Program (I have also applied to the Honors College, but have not heard as of yet). I am hoping to receive an invitation into Bing's PriceWaterhouseCoopers Scholars program...but that is to be seen. Anyway, would you be able to give me any guidance as to which program you feel would offer the best business program and opportunties? Any input would really be appreciated.</p>

<p>I'm not going to compare the other programs, because I don't know them... but our Business Leaders program is something of a small learning community/honors-type program for select College of Business admitted students. I'm not going to go into more detail here, because this thread has another purpose -- but our Business program is a lot better-known than people give it credit; it's the third-largest major on campus right now.</p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p>@ everyone who also got the letter: Congrats! I was excited to receive the letter and I hope to get into the program, but it seems like it is quite competitive.</p>

<p>pomegranate: I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up at the same place either!
I've found a few people on CC who have applied to a lot of the same places as I have... competition's going to be fierce, to say the least.</p>

<p>Sorry to semi-hijack my own thread, but what is Binghamton's PriceWaterhouseCooper scholarship? Is it only for SOM applicants? I applied to Harpur there, but I've seen a few things about this scholarship and was wondering what it was about.</p>

<p>@sbuadmissions: Could you tell me a little more about Geneseo Honors? I would love to learn what it's about, and (the tough question) just how selective it is.
Thanks!</p>

<p>Geneseo</a> Honors Program</p>

<p>link to geneseo honor's program.</p>

<p>Thanks, nysmile, I actually went to that website earlier today, not particularly informative but good enough.
The essay is actually fairly difficult to write! I'm trying to put a creative spin on it because I cannot for the life of me write anything conventional/sans wacky sentence structure... ugh.</p>

<p>Congrats to you all! I also received the letter...not sure if I will apply because I was offered a full ride for Vanderbilt's honors program, and Geneseo was a safety to begin with. :/</p>

<p>Wow, congrats to YOU countryangel! That's an awesome achievement.
I was considering applying to Vanderbilt but decided against it.</p>

<p>Thanks ChandlerBing! (I think I saw you over at the Amherst board...looks like our taste in colleges is pretty similar :)) Best of luck with the Edgar Fellows program!</p>

<p>Thanks, countryangel. It is... I think you're probably stronger than me though, so it looks like I'm not getting in anywhere. I've actually found a lot of people on CC who applied to similar colleges that I did.. I'm glad I got into Geneseo!
Hopefully I'll get it, Amherst, etc are far from sure bets.</p>

<p>Whatever our stats are, Amherst - or any other top tier school - is a reach for anybody. But keep a positive attitude...because you never know!</p>

<p>I got the letter too :)
So how many people who are invited to apply are actually given admission into the program?
Also, what topic is everyone else choosing for the essay? I'm writing about the importance of Service to Society (I got o a catholic school and have been writing essays about this for the past four years).</p>

<p>I finally sent in my application for Honors yesterday (haha I procastinate waaaaaaay too much :))
But I wrote about the diversity one for the essay, and talked about 2 books for the questionnaire. After the book stuff I inserted a short essay I wrote about myself.</p>

<p>Currently, there are 30 Freshman in the Honors Program, not sure how many sophomores. Honors students live in the same dorm together, and the Honors program is essentially composed of a special class each semester and extra activities.</p>

<p>Hey to everyone interested in the Edgar Fellows program! I'm currently in my second year in the program, and I can't recommend it highly enough. The honors classes that I've taken have definitely been some of the most fun and though-provoking I've taken at Geneseo, so I'd urge anyone who's even thinking about applying to do so- you don't have anything to lose, and you do have a lot to gain : ) If you guys have any other questions I can answer about the program or the college in general, let me know!</p>