Education Major at Binghamton

Hello,
I have done a lot of research on college majors and I think that my goal is to become a teacher, although I am not sure yet whether I should do elementary education or secondary education. I am disappointed that Binghamton doesn’t have an education major and wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about the history of why Binghamton doesn’t have an education major, if there are others out there who want to become teachers that are disappointed Binghamton doesn’t have an education major, and if there are alternative ways to become a teacher. In all other ways it seems like a great school but education is something that is important to me.
Thanks!

Yes, very easy answer. In NYS you don’t major in education, you major in the subject you want to teach (ex. math) and then get your masters in education. I’m a teacher who went to Binghamton. I majored in English and then got my graduate degree in Secondary Education. Binghamton actually has a very good School of Education, and they also offer a 5 year program so you can graduate with your bachelors and masters and teaching certification in 5 years. So it’s really a great option for teachers.

There are 60 plus SUNY schools and not all of them offer every major. If you want to find out which SUNY school offers a particular major, go to suny.edu and search by major.

Also, you can major in education in NYS, with a concentration, but many people who want to teach at middle or hs level do major in the subject they want to teach and then get a masters in education.