EFCC/ Financial Aid for OOS

<p>To parents of current OOS Seniors who have been accepted at UW-Madison: What kind of financial aid packages have you been receiving? Especially, for middle to upper-middle income families? I expect my son (currently a junior) to get admitted but with little or no merit aid especially since he is OOS. Will we be expected to foot all or most of the $30K plus which is the cost of attending?</p>

<p>I'm OOS from a wealthy family and we received $0.</p>

<p>=/</p>

<p>when will you get the financial aid package?? Are they out yet?</p>

<p>As a tax paying Wis resident, I don't expect the state to fund OOS residents through gift money, as opposed to work/loans. Did you try your area UW Alumni association for aid? I understand many of them nationwide do offer scholarships.</p>

<p>There are funds raised for scholarships without concern to residency. The UW is far bigger than the state that funds a relatively small portion of the overall operation. It has a national alumni base and many of us give gifts with the expectation that some of that will go to OOS students as well as instaters.</p>

<p>My understanding is that a lot of funds become available to students after they are in school, such as depts giving to students in their major; not necessarily incoming freshmen. I know the Chemistry dept does this.</p>

<p>That is very true. Hard to attract kids with that approach though.</p>

<p>yea and considering a lot of kids dont get into a dept until their junior year, it doesnt help.</p>

<p>looks like my time at UW is just about over :/
i called today and they basically said i better get used to paying loans back until im 90.</p>

<p>=( it's pretty sad. Wisconsin used to be my top choice and I got in, felt good about the university but they give me no money.</p>

<p>A comparable private would cost at least $10K more. Imagine you got $10K and feel better.</p>

<p>Welcome to the real world, where dreams get modified. It would be nice if the university had as large an endowment fund as some private schools for student aid. Instate alumni often think they are already paying plenty in taxes for the school (Wis is a high tax state) and don't give more, and most college grads are not that rich (or your parents could pay the bills themselves). You have to decide if the price tag is worth it. </p>

<p>Remember, no one owes you anything. Good luck.</p>