Effect of a D (1st sem.)

<p>so basically,a friend of mine got a D in a class.
is he/she basically ineligibile now – what does he/she have to do?</p>

<p>write a letter to every u.c she applied to. tell them as soon as possible, don't wait.</p>

<p>is it ok for him/her to just not send a letter?
there's a small chance of them catching it later right?</p>

<p>well, if he/she doesnt send it, and she ends up getting into a uc, the schools will eventually will have to see that D in the final transcript. that may factor into he/she being rescinded or what not.</p>

<p>Oh, he/she can take the chance of not sending a letter, but its better having him explain why he got the D and telling the UC's what he plans to do to fix it will prob be better than UC's recieving the official transcript and going what the hell?</p>

<p>by any chance do you go to mission san jose high school in fremont,ca?</p>

<p>If he sends a letter now, there are options that the schools and your friend can take to ensure eligibility. For the lucky few that DO dodge this bullet, a lot of the times it involves them retaking the class over summer, but this HAS to be school approved. If you don't decide to send them a letter about it, you lose this option, and the schools are usually not too accomodating with surprises like that.</p>

<p>the reason I ask is he/she isn't really planning to send the letter... the UC gpa of this person is only about 3.5-3.6 and a 2100 SAT
will this affect the chances too?</p>

<p>well, he/she will still have a chance to get into UC's. But the thing is, it will affect the decision of UC's to rescind if he/she gets in or not because of the D.</p>

<p>
[quote]
by any chance do you go to mission san jose high school in fremont,ca?

[/quote]

Huskies > Warriors
Except in badminton :(</p>

<p>hahaha and swimming !</p>

<p>He/She can get into tier 2 schools with those stats. Unless they were planning on going to cal or something...</p>

<p>yeah thats true, i know people that havent gotten to IRVINE and not rescinded even though getting D in physics, but thats a chance they will have to take. (maybe theyll get pass maybe they wont)</p>

<p>which has a better shot
1990 SAT 3.8 UC GPA
or
2100 SAT 3.5 UC GPA</p>

<p>^ about the same shot for both. if the 3.8 guy had a 4.0+, he would have a better shot.</p>

<p>would that change any of one of them got the D?</p>

<p>well, he still has a shot at the lower tiers as well as like UCB,UCLA. but theres a very good chance even if he gets into UCB or UCLA, he will get rescinded because of the D. However, the lower tiers, maybe more lenient and let him pass by.</p>

<p>I'm actually in an identical situation. I got a D in Calculus AB (and two C's in other AP classes). Can someone please advise me on what to write in my letter? Much obliged.</p>

<p>^Apologize profusely. If you have an extenuating circumstance, use it. If you don't, ask for a second chance via community college over summer or something to that effect, and if you really want to get into a college (mind you not a JC), see if some of the CSUs still have open application times, otherwise consider the possibility of going to a JC. That is, of course, unless you can change that D.</p>

<p>I have the same problem with pre-calc. I ended up with a 3.2w gpa.
AP Envir Sci- B-
Economics- B+
Pre Caluc- "D"
English- A-
Band- A
GPA: 3.2
I think i have a very good excuse because a family member of mine (cousin) was diagnosed with a high level Cancer 2 weeks before finals and that same day my mom flew out of the country to provide family support. I am the oldest of 3 and my father is a truck driver who is only home on the weekends, so basically i ran the house for the remainder of the semester. I had to cook, clean, shop, and pick up- drop off my brothers around to their various after school activities, something that we are all grateful my mother does, and still find time to do homework and cram for finals. I don't want to use this as an excuse but i don't have any options. To this day my cousin is still looking for a compatible bone marrow transplant. Any advice? I got into UCI and UCSB with a 3.83UC and 1500SAT1, low income, 1st gen + great EC's.</p>