ELC, CA UC Schools

<p>Yes historymom; I think it was called "ELC reviewed" or some *three letter label, and the letter D got had a number identifier to use with the online app. It may have been the UCD person person on CC (but maybe not) who suggested using the resulting application might help. I'll see if I can dig up a thread, but it sure cant hurt!</p>

<p>And my D seems to be adjusting great! Mostly talks about the extra-curriculars, but I'm not surprised about that ...</p>

<p>*"QOT"= "Qualified on Track", but no luck findng any reference to it being an advantage on CC... maybe just wishful thinking or I heard it elsalere. BTW, consider going to the "Highachieving high school student" thing in the fall if she gets an invite; maybe I heard it there. (It's about why you should consider the UCD honors program, even if you get into UCLA or Cal. ) Either way, it can't hurt!</p>

<p>They will know she was considered, because for ELC they request the top 10% of transcripts for evaluation, and as she is already in the system it is clear she was in that top 10%. Using the Application the UC has already started for her assures that all her records are in order and in the same place. </p>

<p>Statewide eligibilty is the most common type of eligibility, and does not confer any "extra" chances beyond the published admission rates. It does make you eligible for the UC, which is very important, as the UC is limited to awarding admission to only 4% (of the total entering class) of non-eligible students through Eligiblity by Exception.</p>

<p>At UCLA and UCB, ELC plays a lesser role. Though the percentages show ELC students admitted at higher percentages ( University</a> of California - Admissions ), many feel that is a reflection of their status as top students rather than being designated ELC. Many, many students with statewide eligibility are admitted to both UCLA and UCB. </p>

<p>If you have not yet received your ELC letter, you can go to this site to see where in the evaluation process your HS is: <a href="https://www.ucelc.org/ucschoolstatus/school_status_search.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://www.ucelc.org/ucschoolstatus/school_status_search.htm&lt;/a> You just need to enter the High School name and city, the code is not required.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Oh - the "Qualified on Track" means the student is on track toward statewide eligiblity, meaning they can finish all requirements in the year of high school remaining. Again, it doesn't give "extra" advantage, it gives the all-important eligibility that makes applying and acceptance possible. (The UC system is only available to the top 12.5% of students statewide, except in exceptional circumstances.) Also remember that all students (ELC and Statewide Eligibilty) still need to complete all A-G requirements, take the SAT or ACT plus two SAT subject tests, submit a complete, on-time application, and graduate from high school.</p>

<p>I forgot to mention:</p>

<p>Even students who did not receive a letter about ELC or statewide eligibility may be eligible. Because it is STATEWIDE eligibility, there are some high-performing high schools where nearly all students will achieve eligibilty. You can use the "Eligibility Calculator" here: <a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html&lt;/a> to see. Click on the box that says "Are you eligible for addmission? Use our calculator to find out."</p>

<p>Here's a link to the thread with the comment buy UCDadmissions i was thinking of in post #21...</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-davis/458616-elc-guaranteed-admission-davis.html#post1059761561%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-davis/458616-elc-guaranteed-admission-davis.html#post1059761561&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>alamemom refers to an application that UC has started… Where is such a thing? DS is ELC but I haven’t seen any reference to any application that was started. I thought that when he started the application and entered the ELC number the grades would already be entered but they aren’t. Are we missing something? Is there a prestarted application for ELC students or is that not the case?</p>

<p>If he has already started an application, he can just enter the ELC number and they will know he is ELC. The pre-filled application is a tiny tab on the application welcome page he would have clicked on BEFORE starting his application. The “pre-filled” bits are just the ELC number and identifying information - students still have to choose their school, fill out grades, etc., so it is NO PROBLEM that he started his own. He should just continue with the application he has started.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>This actually a post from 2008 but a few years back when S applied, the grades were already filled in for him so he just had to put in his Sr. courses. Last year, D’s basic info was on the app after putting in her ELC number but she had to enter all of her grades including 7th and 8th grade math since they were Alg. I and Geometry. But alamemom is correct, there is a “little” tab to click for ELC and then the ELC number is entered to access the application. S messed up because he started an app (6 years ago this was) and then got his ELC number. He just started a new app with the number, no problem. Not sure if this can still be done or not.</p>

<p>Thanks for the answers! I swear we didn’t see any tab, but I guess it doesn’t make much difference except for a bit more work.</p>

<p>Just in case anyone else had the same question- I called the ELC office since I couldn’t find any tab and they told me that as of this year they are no longer predoing any applications for ELC students. So I guess there isn’t any tab anymore.</p>

<p>thanks, doughmom.</p>

<p>Bummer:( Budget cuts. It made the app go a liitle faster.</p>