Electrical & Computer Engineering Admit Stats Please

I just noticed that the UIUC website no longer publishes middle 50% statistics for GPA/SAT/ACT scores on individual majors, like they used to do a few years ago in the tool to compare majors. Now, it appears these stats are only general by college.

So, I’m interested to know the stats of those who applied to EE or CompE for fall 2021 or 2022, admitted or denied, resident/non-resident, etc. If you or your child also applied to Purdue or Wisconsin, please also include the decision there. I see a few reports in the admissions thread, but please also consider reposting here and perhaps a few others might consider adding stats also.

Also curious on how difficult it may be to transfer from EE to CE these days, since it’s still within the same department. If anyone knows if the middle 50 stats by individual engineering major are still available but hidden away somewhere, that would be great, too. Thanks!

My DS22 was accepted to both UIUC and Purdue for EE.
Stats:
OOS / 1560 / 3.98 UW / 5.4 W / NMF / 19 APs / 6 DEs

2 Likes

D22 admitted to UIUC CE and Purdue CE, did not apply U Wisconsin

OOS/35 ACT/ 3.95 UW/4.6 W/13 AP’s.

1 Like

#3 accepted to Computer Engineering at Illinois (in state) and Wisconsin. Purdue gave second choice major instead of First Year Engineering.

1520 SAT, 4.0UW/4.5W GPA. Calc 3, linear algebra + many AP/honors. Solid essays and good EC but not much specific to major other than some CS/software classes & certification.

1 Like

To your original question, I think Grainger admit rates are around 20% and I think CompE is probably more competitive than EE and well below Grainger admit rates with OOS not more tha half the in-state admit rates. S22 almost committed to CompE last year and when we attended Ilini Days event, I remember a lot of EE admits were enquiring about switching to CompE.

Congrats on the admit! The new CompE building is just spectacular and the curriculum and outcomes are just as great.

1 Like

Since my original post, I’ve learned that you can pretty easily take a CompE curriculum if you are admitted to EE. You just use your elective slots for the CE classes not in the EE tree. With his AP/dual credits, this would have been no problem and also enough room for CS minor if he chooses to do so. Probably a good idea for anyone considering this to plan it with the counselor/advisor at the first class schedule signup meeting. Also, I know from my older son who got a CS minor, spots in some CS classes can be difficult to get for non-CS majors, so sometimes they require stalking for drops to get a seat.

1 Like

I’ve heard this too, and I specifically emailed the counselors and asked them about it. Sounded like an issue but not a significant one. Glad that your son has a lot of AP credits - I remember the core curriculum is very extensive and even with a lot of heavy loading its almost impossible to take more than 10 electives.

1 Like

Link to AP credit info:

Cheers all and good luck to all the future Illini.

1 Like