Eligibility in local context vs. eligibility in statewide context? (UCs)

Do these two “recognitions,” so to speak, have the same value when applying to UC schools?

I checked the UC website and I definitely qualify for the statewide path, but not so sure about the local path.

Basically, are both of these viewed equally in the admissions process or is one viewed more highly than the other?

bump

They just mean your option is at Merced if you don’t get into one of the other UC’s.

ELC-=top recognized 9% at your school. Your school notifies you, not the other way around.

The UC’s note that you’ve taken the right required courses with the right grades.

@“aunt bea” does the ELC work even if your school has a strict no-ranking policy?

Yes and no. The top students tend to get into one of their top tier choice UC’s.
It’s the students towards the 9% mark who will struggle to get into their top choices.

All 3 of my kids were ELC. All 3 got into their mid-tier UC’s; they would have gotten into these anyway based on their stats and grades and top choice admitted UCs.

(son was #4/700, he got the “ELC” letter-didn’t make a difference)

Thank you so much for the info @“aunt bea” . What exactly do you mean by “It’s the students towards the 9% mark who will struggle to get into their top choices”?

I see what you mean though - if a kid’s stats are good enough they’ll get in regardless of ELC.

How do you think my chances are for UCD, UCI, UCSB, and UCSD?

GPA (9-12): 4.36 (W) 3.80 (UW)
GPA (10-12): 4.59 (W) 3.80 (UW)
UC GPA: 4.07 (weighted and capped)
ACT: 35 C
SAT Math II - 770
SAT Chemistry - 720
AP test scores: chemistry 4, world history 4, calc 5, psych 5
National Merit semifinalist and a National AP Scholar
Oh and school doesn’t rank, but I’d estimate somewhere in at least top 15(?)%…? I’m not sure.

Thought I’d ask since your 3 kids obviously nailed it. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Yes. Your school does rank, at least for the top 9%. The “no-ranking policy” simply means that they don’t publish the rank. As mentioned above, you’ll get a letter from your school (snail-mail) if you qualify because, iirc, the school needs you to sign a release allowing them to provide your eligibility to UC.

@Otterma I see. Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense.

How would you say my chances are at the UCs I listed above? ^

You should be okay for all of those schools.

I’ll defer to aunt bea. My kid just applied this year so I don’t yet know how good my judgement is on this stuff. :slight_smile:
That’s why I knew about the ELC since we got the letter last summer.

If you log into your UC Application, it will tell you if you have qualified for ELC.