Eligibility in the Local Context

<p>Can someone explain exactly what this is, please? thanks very much</p>

<p>top 4% of your HS based on UC gpa. UC will calculate the gpa when your HS sends in a bunch of transcripts. Only for instate. ELC guarantees you admission to a UC. In past few years, the guarantee schools were Davis, Irvine, & SB.</p>

<p>ok thanks. im in the top one percent of my high school’s GPA, so would it be safe to say that I would be in this? also, when do you hear which school you are acceted to?</p>

<p>You have to apply to UC prior to Nov 30. ELC acceptances usually come out in March – some campuses notify ELC’ers earlier than Regular students, but not always.</p>

<p>UC does not care how your HS calculates rank, it will calculate your HS rank itself, using a-g courses, and adding bonus points for UC-approved honors/AP courses; bonus points are uncapped, btw.</p>

<p>Trojanman-go to the UC Pathways website I posted up above, all that info is there.</p>

<p>Note that some schools don’t participate in ELC submissions, and it’s only for California students. Your school is supposed to ask for permission in the Spring for sending transcripts to UC. This is conducted for what the school finds to be about top ten percent of its new senior class, with four percent actually determined ELC eligible. The high number is due to the fact some top students don’t meet specific ELC course requirements or don’t have as high a UC-GPA as high school GPA, or reverse. Results should come out around August in a large packet for those designated ELC, and everyone that’s at least evaluated gets a letter with a number to access a prepopulated UC application. Check and see if your school submitted transcripts here: <a href=“https://www.ucelc.org/ucschoolstatus/school_status_search.htm[/url]”>https://www.ucelc.org/ucschoolstatus/school_status_search.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>While only a few campuses “guarantee” ELC students admission to “most majors,” ELC is a strong designation to have. Virtually all ELC students are admitted to all UCs they apply to up to San Diego, and after that odds of admission are way above average. Some other people will disagree, but I feel it was an important factor in my admittance to Berkeley and LA.</p>

<p>cool, great answers guys! thanks</p>

<p>I think ELC notices start to come out in August then go through October depending on when your school submitted the information. D did not get her ELC notification until October-long wait! Interestingly Cal only admitted the top 3 students from our class, and UCLA admitted the top 8 (there was only 300 in Sr. class), all ELC. Luckily D was admitted to both and chose UCLA. Some years it has been the opposite. Hard to figure. We did have a Fulbright Scholar come from our school (UCLA class of 2009) last year. Also, there often seems to be a lot of confusion with the letter. It happens on these Boards in the Fall when the letters arrive and then again in the Spring when admissions letters come out and people thought they were ELC but they weren’t. A bit of unsolicited advice, read the letter carefully to see if you are ELC or State Wide Context because both get assigned an ID # and the application does not specifically say. Best of luck to everyone!</p>

<p>ok cool, thanks</p>