Eligible In Local Context

I’m hoping by now most parents and applicants know how to verify your ‘pre-screened’ status as ‘Eligible in the Local Context’ (ELC) for the UC Applications, but in case some didn’t, I wanted to post it here.

If you log on to the application and go to the ‘Application Status’ line and click on it, there will be a message on the following page saying you have been identified as ELC.

We logged on this morning with our daughter and saw she has been tagged ELC, which was great news for us; we hope many of you will see the same message. ELC is a great program created by the UC’s and just another reason we love the UC/CSU system in our beautiful state of California so much!!!

Here’s info on the program:

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/local-path/index.html

One thing to note is that a LOT of the comments on here about ELC offers point towards your ‘Campus Offer’ being to UC Merced. If that’s the case, don’t fret: it’s a GREAT school. Before just looking past it if you qualify under this program and don’t get accepted where you applied, PLEASE go visit the campus; pictures don’t do it justice. Yes, it’s in the middle of nowhere; yes, it’s small. But it’s new, it’s growing, they offer great financial aid, and it’s a UC!

Good luck everyone!

I would add that ELC has a ‘space available’ provision. meaning that your admission (Merced or elsewhere) is not guaranteed by ELC status.

As I recall, a few months ago @gumbymom posted some stats on how many ELC referrals were rejected - perhaps she can dig it up again.

To anyone counting on ELC - PLEASE be sure you have other viable options. Tomorrow, the CSU ap window closes - take advantage of their generous extension and apply to a couple…

Here is the link to the stats about ELC referrals. According to the graph, 909 referral applicants applied and 659 were admitted. No reason is given for why not all referrals were admitted but I am sure the “space provision” may have played at part.

https://irds.ucmerced.edu/sites/irds.ucmerced.edu/files/documents/uc_merced_profile_-_july_2018.pdf