Ellipsis Summer Program

wondering if anyone else got an email from Peter LaBerge about getting accepted to the Ellipsis Summer Program. I got an email after getting rejected from the Adroit summer mentorship program saying that he saw promise in my appliicatioon, but I can’t tell if this is selective at all. Their matriculation data also seems a little too good to be true. would really really appreciate if anyone can tell me their experience with Ellipsis and if it was helpful at all. did anyone else get an email like this?

I also got this email after being rejected by Adriot and was wondering the same things. I’m honestly really confused about it and it does seem to good to be true in general (not that it’s a scam or anything, more like it’s not selective or legitimate)

yeah lmk if you get any more info or iif you end up signing up!!

1 Like

It does look interesting. Maybe ask how many kids are in each section(there are a lot of sections!). If they give you a ballpark # of like 10 I think it might be worth the $600. But if it’s more like 25-30 I’d pass. You might be better off taking the summer to write something substantial. Just a thought. Good luck!

2 Likes

yeah, i also got an email after i got rejected! i thought it felt a little odd too (like charlottel said, not like a full on scam, just maybe not selective or legitimate). i couldn’t find any third-party articles or info on the program aside from an interview with peter laberge, and ellipsis is inactive on all their socials. so i’m feeling unsure about registering, even though the workshop descriptions look interesting
idk i’d just like to know more about it :open_mouth:

1 Like

Hi! I also just received an email today from Peter about the camp after getting rejected from the Adroit mentorship program. I’m feeling conflicted bc ive never heard of elllipsis before and idk what to do. have any of u made a decision yet about whether or not ur attending?

i was feeling the same way but I found someone who did it last year who said it was quite beneficial so I think I’m gonna sign up!

yeah i don’t know how many people peter emailed. it’s kind of sus, even though he said it’s not a mass email at the bottom of the email. also the fact that he’s staggering sending the emails is strange bc he sent mine a few days ago. it honestly feels like he’s just trying to fill empty slots but idk. do u think ur gonna end up signing up?

Yes, I think i will end up signing up. I still have some hesitation tho. u mentioned that someone u know said it was a good experience?

hey so I am an adroit mentee this year in poetry but I (amongst other past adroit mentees/current ones) all have had some contact with ellipsis. I got the same email last year but did not sign up, because I had a worry that it was a scam lol. but despite getting into adroit this year I also signed up for a session in ellipsis as well.

ellipsis is pretty legit in that the faculty are the same, if not better, than adroit. I think for me there were some poets who I wanted to work with not on the adroit list and I was interested by, so I signed up for a class with someone I really admired that was not at all on the adroit list! I have also talked to some of my friends in the past and they have had something similar. I think 2?? years ago (crazy) ellipsis had richie hoffman which is just INSANITY! to me but like yea it does have less info.

I think also for me I was able to get a full scholarship to adroit and half scholarship for ellipsis so for the both of them I only paid $290 which is like… really good.

I will say though ellipsis and adroit do function a bit differently in that you are in a group of 10-12 other writers. But I also did kenyon and I do not at all see that as a bad thing. I think for me I signed up because I was enthusiastic about ellipsis as well and that is def a key part. DO NOT FORCE YOURSELF TO DO ELLIPSIS JUST BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GOOD. if you feel deep down its not right I would say doing it isnt going to be good for you as you sit thru 2 hours of zoom a week the whole summer.

I’m open to any questions you guys have in dms btw or on this thread so let me know.

1 Like

that’s great! hope it goes well ^-^

Summary

This text will be hidden

thank you so much for the info! that’s super helpful. yeah i know a big thing i was interested in with adroit was the independence and asynchronicity while still being able to write with very cool people. with ellipsis it sounds like they have the second part, but i think just wouldn’t be able to make a lot the video calls :(. thanks again for the info! (and congrats on being an adroit mentee that’s awesome!)

1 Like

This is so helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like you have experience with Kenyon and Adroit, and will try Ellipses this summer. I also go the email from Ellipses but did not get Adroit or Juniper.

Can you share how Kenyon and Adroit went? Pros and Cons? Should I try again next year? Meanwhile I think I will sign up for Ellipses this summer since some of the instructors seem really great.

1 Like

It is a mass marketing ploy in my mind to fill up paid spots in ellipsis where they praise your writing and tell you that you’ve been preapproved. My writing sucks and I was approved. I am not afraid to say so. That’s how I know