Email from UC: Important or no?

<h2>I applied to UCB, UCLA, UCSD, and UCI. I just received an email from UC down below that states that UC will forward my applications to other universities within its system even though I did not apply to those campuses. Is this a generic email or should it solicit concern that I am not qualified for the higher-tier UCs (LA/Cal)? </h2>

<p>I am delighted that you have applied for admission to the University of California. You have embarked on an exciting journey to find the best possible education, and I am proud that you are considering one or more of our world-class campuses.</p>

<p>This year the University will continue an effort that has proved to be of interest to many of our applicants. While your application is being reviewed by the campuses you have applied to, other campuses within the UC system will be looking at your record, too. They may get in touch with you directly to tell you about degree programs they offer that could be a good fit, given the interests and talents you described in your application.</p>

<p>Don’t worry – this doesn’t mean that you aren’t being considered by the UC campuses you chose. We just want to make sure that if we see an additional opportunity for you at another UC campus, you know about it and can make an informed decision about all of your UC options.</p>

<p>Once our campuses make their admission decisions, they will notify you by March 31. No matter which UC campus you choose to attend, you will have immediate opportunities to learn from internationally respected faculty and bright, capable students from around the world. At your doorstep will be a vibrant social, cultural, athletic and artistic community, as well as a range of support services to help you succeed.</p>

<p>With best wishes, I am,</p>

<p>Sincerely yours,</p>

<p>Mark G. Yudof</p>

<p>President</p>

<p>What are your stats?</p>

<p>Good question.</p>

<p>I got the same email ... </p>

<p>hmmm</p>

<p>EDIT:: my brother got the same email, and he has a 4.0+ UC GPA, so no worries it's probably just a general email</p>

<p>It means you got rejected from the top and mid tier UC's. You'll be getting your auto-acceptance to Merced soon..... >_></p>

<p>Thanks, robbins01. I have a 4.0+ UC GPA and I am an ELC student so I'm hoping it is just a general email. OoPurestOo, college admissions have made me slightly paranoid.</p>

<p>It is a general email. The UC system is trying to drive up the use of a campus like Merced, which may not have been selected explicitly by applicants. Getting this is no hint at all of your admission status at the 'tougher' UCs. Nothing to worry about. </p>

<p>Think of it as an automatic safety that you didn't need to pay an application fee for.</p>

<p>Same here, I applied to the same ones you did with the addition of UCD though....</p>

<p>I thought it was just a generic e-mail...</p>

<p>it is generic. i got it too</p>

<p>Got it too. 4.5 gpa, ELC. Generic.</p>

<p>i received it too. i'm sure its a general email</p>

<p>Does that mean... we might have a chance of getting accepted even though we didn't apply? </p>

<p>I also heard someone say that they might send out letters saying that you are accepted, but you might come back after 2 years as a transfer student. Does anyone know if it's true...?</p>

<p>This is a general message and should have been sent to all applicants. It is an advance warning to students who might receive an admissions offer from campus that they did not apply to.</p>

<p>jenuwin01: You might have heard about the "Shared Experience" program. It is offered to highly qualified applicants to UCB, UCLA, UCSD and UCI - applicants they would have loved to admit, but there just wasn't space. They are offered guaranteed admission to UCB, UCLA, UCSD and UCI as Junior-year transfers (if they complete a lower-division program with agreed-upon grades) who spend their first two years at UC Merced. The program is by invitation only - students cannot "apply" to the program. The</a> Daily Bruin - Program at Merced to draw students</p>