Email "We'll share your app with other UC's"

<p>Is there any suble meaning in the email saying that the UC system will make applicant information available to other UC’s besides the ones the applicant has chosen, and those other schools might contact the applicant directly? </p>

<p>Did everyone get one? </p>

<p>It could mean nothing beyond the statement; it could mean “we kinda like you well enough to try to recruit you for a “lesser” UC”, 'cause you’re underqualified for Berkeley", etc.</p>

<p>Yeah I got a similar email as well...</p>

<p>Son got same thing. The end of March can not arrive soon enough for me.</p>

<p>Just got it today. I don't think it has any subliminal meaning. I applied to all UCs except Merced, Riverside, and Santa Cruz.</p>

<p>I got one today too and have talked to several other friends who received it also. I am going to try not to read into it.</p>

<p>If <em>everyone</em> got one, there's obviously no hidden meaning. I should have controlled my curiosity for a few days so that "I didn't get one" would be more meaningful. Now, unfortunately, there's still the "yet" clause.</p>

<p>I got it and I applied to all the UCs except SC and M.</p>

<p>yea i got that too... = = argghghhg</p>

<p>Well it makes me feel good now that I know a lot of people got it. I was fearing that it was only sent to select people.</p>

<p>What exactly does the email mean? If I knew they were going to do this, I would've sent one application to one school and saved $120. </p>

<p>I just don't understand the whole point of the measure, other than to keep students within the UC system.</p>

<p>It probably means they are trying to populate Merced, and they will forward your application there as well. And they probably are sending it out with no relation to whether or not you will be admitted into your first choice.</p>

<p>Just a random guess. But my guess is one or two school were underapplied to and which ones are most likely to be in this category?</p>

<p>^that sounds reasonable. They'd want to advertise Merced like that to get more people to go I guess.</p>

<p>i got one and i applied to all the campuses...lol</p>

<p>Ok, now I'm thinking they just sent the email to all applicants to UC system...lol</p>

<p>^^ you think?</p>

<p>LOL, I love how when someone receives an email/notification/letter from the UC system they immediately post on CC. What losers. Just wait until March why don't ya?</p>

<p>Maybe "knowledge is power", someguy. If you learned that your app was being shopped around, and you had a decent chance but not a lock at Berkeley, and you further learned that if Merced said they'd like to have you that would result in Berkeley removing you from their "maybe" pile to give Merced a better shot at you, and you noticed the little opt out checkbox at the bottom of the email, wouldn't you have been glad you asked? Presumably none of those assumptions are true in this case, but that's why some of us - the 'losers' in your wisdom - ask and others quietly wait for whatever's going to happen.</p>

<p>^agree
in fact, i come to this site now because i wanted to see if others received this email.
As much as i know, everyone's gotten one.
Somehow mine was in the junk mail.
it's good that i didn't delete it.</p>

<p>i didn't get it LOL</p>

<p>Uhh, I didn't get the email last year (my email was dead for those 2 months lol) but I did get accepted into Merced afterwards (I didn't apply), and a lot of people were talking about getting into Riverside without applying and such as well, so just a not-so-random guess would be that it means they're trying to get more people to get into the lower tier UCs. Obviously I doubt tier 1 or tier 2 schools are going to solicit you for admissions if they're full enough as it is, so the applying to one school thing probably doesn't work.</p>